Learning Starts at Home, Continues at School
Welcome to the Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Department. As a parent, step-parent, grandparent, sibling or caregiver, you make a tremendous difference in your child's educational success. The hopes, dreams and high expectations you set for your child will make a tremendous difference. We ask that you frequently share those hopes, dreams and expectations with your child and his/her teacher(s). Research shows that when parents give teachers permission to hold their child to high expectations, students make more progress academically, have better attendance and show better behavior. As your child grows, we want them to develop their own dreams for their education, become knowledgeable about how they learn best and develop a lifelong love of learning.
You'll find many resources on this page to help you be an active partner in your child's education. Feel free to give us a call at (916) 971-7929 with any questions or suggestions about how we can better support you in your role as an educator in your home and how you can be an active partner in your child's school. Five critical actions you can take today:
1. Meet your child's teacher(s) and share your high expectations for your child.
2. Educational success is a "must be present to win" endeavor. Make sure your child is in school every day, on time, well-rested and ready to learn.
3. Register in Parent Portal/Q and check your child's grades, attendance and behavior each week.
4. Secondary parents, register with Naviance and use this college preparation tool with your adolescent.
5. Help your children develop a love of learning and develop their own hopes and dreams for their education.
Our department assists with, or oversees, the following programs: