Ninth Grade Worksheets » Transition and Phrases Worksheet II|
Transition and Phrases Worksheet II
English 1 Transition and Phrases Worksheet II
Glossary Word Bank:
at the same time
Cause and Effect
in like manner
for this reason
for all that
never the less
Look at the example given. Fill in the blanks in the sentences using your glossary word bank above. Be aware that a word can be used more than once. Some sentences may have more than one correct answer.
EXAMPLE: In X-Men from Marvel Comics, Wolverine appears to be the protagonist __ ________ to Magneto who acts as the antagonist.
In X-Men from Marvel Comics, Wolverine appears to be the protagonist in contrast to Magneto who acts as the antagonist.
- Cinderella dropped her slipper, ________________________ the king’s man had to try the slipper on every girl in the kingdom.
- Both Cinderella and Snow White have female protagonists , __ _____ _____they have very different types of step-mothers.
- The step-mother of Snow White is actively evil, ______ ______ she is a stronger, more dynamic character than Cinderella’s step-mother.
- Cinderella had a fairy godmother who helped her, __ ________Snow White is saved by a kindly huntsman who did not put her to death.
- The princes in both tales had important roles, __________ they were not dynamic.
- _________ , the characters of the princes are almost one dimensional and flat.
- ________ _______ ________, the other subordinate characters in both tales are lively and create an interest in reading the whole story.
- The animals in Cinderella became her friends, __________ the dwarfs in Snow White became her friends.
- _____ _________, the tension or rising action in both fairy tales occurs because the two main characters do not follow the rules given to them as a protection.
- ____ _____ _____, Snow White falls into a deep trance.
- _____ ______ ______, Cinderella stayed too late at the ball it was her mistake that allowed the prince to find her.
- ___ _______, the two stories are more similar than different.
- ____ __________ _______, Cinderella and Snow White both end happily.
- One wonders what happened,_________ in their lives; in real life people are not static characters.