Family and Community Engagement
Welcome to the Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Department. We believe that learning starts at home and continues at school. You'll notice that we use the term "family engagement" in San Juan Unified. Family engagement is defined as the "collaboration between families and educators that accelerates student learning" by the Flamboyan Foundation. As a parent, step-parent, grandparent or caregiver, the hopes, dreams and high expectations you set for your child make a tremendous difference in their academic achievement.Research shows that when parents or guardians give teachers permission to hold their child to high expectations, students make more progress academically, have better school attendance and behave better at school. As your child grows, we want them to become knowledgeable about how they learn best, develop their own dreams for their education, and develop a lifelong love of learning.We follow the US Department of Education's Dual Capacity-Building Framework for Family-School Partnerships based on the research of Dr. Karen Mapp from the Harvard Graduate School of Education. This framework honors and recognizes the strengths of each family to support their child's academic progress and of educators to connect and collaborate with families in support of student's academic achievement and social-emotional development. Families play a critical role as supporters, encouragers, and decision makers of their child's education. They also have the right and responsibility to collaborate with their child's teacher(s), monitor their child's and school's achievement, and advocate for the needs of their child.Five critical actions you can take today:
1. Meet your child's teacher(s) and share your high expectations for your child with them.
2. Make sure your child is in school every day, on time, well-rested and ready to learn.
3. Register in Parent Portal/Q and check your child's grades, attendance and behavior each week.
4. Use Naviance with your teenager to help them be successful in high school and college.
5. Limit TV, computer and cell phone time and encourage your child's curiosity and love of learning at home.
Our department assists with, or oversees, the following programs:
- Family Education Workshops
- Business and community partnerships
- Districtwide family engagement, outreach and education activities
- Problem resolution / Resolución de Problemas / (Arabic) / (Russian)
- Neighborhood/Community Liaisons coordination
- Academic Parent Teacher Teams (Learn more about APTT implementation in San Juan Unified as well as in other districts).
- Volunteer recruitment and training
- Online Family Resource Center
- Board Policy and Administrative Regulations for parent involvement in San Juan Unified
Please call us at (916) 971-7929 with any questions or suggestions about how we can better support you in your role as an educator in your home and how you can be an active partner in your child's school.Click here to complete a survey and provide feedback and suggestions for family engagement opportunities in San Juan Unified.
8:00 AM - 3:00 PM Parent / Teacher Conferences - Early Dismissal - Elementary / K-8
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM Thanksgiving Week Break - Schools Closed
The 2017-2018 Family Handbook contains important information for students, parents and guardians. Please take time to download it and read it thoroughly. It references district policies and regulations, the school year calendar, school safety information, as well as creative ideas on how to strengthen your parental role with your child, and more.
In San Juan Unified, we depend on you as an active partner in your child's education. Feel free to call your child's school or the Family and Community Engagement Department with questions or other ideas for increasing family engagement in San Juan Unified schools.