Rio Americano Athletic Booster Club
Over the past fifty years, Rio Americano’s athletic program has consistently been one of the best in the Sacramento region, winning over Section championships (at least one in each of the past 20 years) and countless League championships, while sending hundreds of students off to collegiate athletic programs. Most importantly, Rio student-athletes have learned life lessons and developed character traits that have helped them succeed in their careers and life. More often than not, Rio alumni point back to their time playing for Rio Americano as some of the most memorable and influential moments of their high school experience.
Rio Americano offers approximately 50 teams in 12 unique sports, with over 80 coaches. With such breadth and depth of athletic opportunities comes a significant cost. Equipment, uniforms, coaches’ stipends, entry fees, officials’ fees, and facility care and improvements are just some of the expenses that have to be met each year. Conservatively, the Rio Athletics program requires about $400-500 per athlete per season to cover costs.
Where Does Rio Athletics Funding Come From?
- San Juan USD - $100,000 (used mainly for coach stipends) plus facilities and insurance
- Student Body Funds (Gate fees, SB cards) - $75,000 (used to pay for CIF and League dues plus officials’ costs)
- Rio Americano Athletic Boosters - $75,000 (used to cover coach stipends beyond the basic District allotment; could be used for additional expenses)
- Sport-specific Fundraising - $75,000 (used to cover most uniforms, tournament/meet entry fees, and replacement equipment such as balls, stopwatches, etc)
Total Athletics Budget = approximately $325,000
The Rio Americano Athletic Boosters is the organization that supports ALL of Rio Americano’s sports teams and serves as the umbrella entity under which sport specific fundraising can legally take place. Now, more than ever, we need to work together to develop a strategic plan that allows us to maintain and support the existing Rio Athletics program while working towards investments that will make the sports experience at Rio second to none.
2015-2016 will be a critical year for the Rio Americano Athletic Boosters as we work to improve the cooperation and communication between all sports, coaches, parents, administration and volunteers at all levels. The truth is that more parents and coaches are working hard to raise funds and support Rio Athletics today than any time in Rio’s history! However, we have to work smarter because working harder on dozens of team and sport specific fundraisers is leading to burnout and a lack of understanding the big picture.
What Can You Do To Help?
- Volunteer – sport liaisons are needed – be a part of the solution (email your coach)
- Sign up for Scrip – at Raleys/Bel Air (www.raleys.com)
- Consider attending a Rio Americano Athletic Boosters meeting – Monday, August 31 at 6:30pmWe are fortunate to have supportive administrator’s. Principal Brian Ginter, Athletic Director Jennifer Smiley, and Assistant AD Janet Cutler are sports enthusiasts and dedicated to improving the sports environment here at Rio.Have a great year!Go Raiders!Rafael RuanoBoosters President