Dear Arlington Heights Elementary Families,
Welcome to another fantastic year. Our students here have many opportunities to further develop their love of exploration, invention and 21st Century Skills through our learning program. As the District’s first Project Lead the Way elementary school, we are entering our 4th year in our S.T.E.A.M. (i.e., Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) initiative. PLTW Launch is a kindergarten through fifth grade STEM curriculum that aligns to state and national science standards. All students will participate in hands-on problem-based activities that promote critical and creative thinking, problem solving, communication and collaboration. Students will struggle with a purpose as they learn to apply content knowledge to solve problems using the engineering design process on a weekly basis.
This year we are focusing on the Design Process and using The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires as inspiration for our “Design Your Year” theme. Through a grant awarded by the San Juan Education Foundation, each student will read Ashley Spires’ book in class and at home. Throughout the year, we’ll return to the Design Process through our monthly STEAM challenges and showcasing at rallies and family events.
The Arlington staff is committed to providing a learning experience that inspires confidence in All our students to realize their potential in the 21st Century.
There are a few things you can do to immediately impact your child's academic success:
- Bring your child to school every day by 7:45 a.m. for breakfast and morning walk.
- Meet your child's teacher and share your hopes and dreams for their school experience. Let staff know you support them and want them to hold your child to high standards for learning and behavior
- Communicate with our staff- Be present, volunteer
- Come to monthly Parent Lunch (last Friday of the Month)
- Show school spirit and Be A-Neighzing!
- Read, talk and sing with your children daily to develop their love of learning and vocabulary.
- Encourage your student(s) to Model, Evaluate and Redesign weekly- whether in math, writing or projects
- Celebrate all student performances and projects
Together we learn and achieve!
Proud Principal of Arlington Heights Elementary
Rafael MartinezPrincipal(916) 971-5234
LaTawnia TaylorSecretary(916) 971-5234