Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports (PBIS)
Resources for Schools & PBIS Teams
What is PBIS?
PBIS is a system for creating a predictable, positive, and safe school environment. PBIS proactively builds positive student behaviors and responds to undesired behaviors in a clear and consistent way. Ultimately, PBIS helps schools become more effective, orderly, and equitable learning environments for ALL students and teachers.
Schools that implement PBIS use the following approaches:
- Teach students positive behavior expectations and strategies, just as they would other subjects such as reading or math.
- Recognize and acknowledge students for doing things the right way—for exhibiting healthy behaviors that lead to new learning.
- Address misbehaviors with corrective consequences, using evidence-based approaches that are effective at preventing and changing maladaptive behaviors.
- Use data to monitor behavior trends and make informed decisions that sustain a positive climate.
- View all practices through a culturally responsive and trauma-informed lens.
How Does PBIS Work?
PBIS schools set up three tiers of support, also called multi-tiered systems of support (MTSS). All students receive Tier 1 supports. Some students need extra supports, which are provided at the Tier 2 and Tier 3 levels. For more information link to www.PBIS.org. Aslo see MTSS at the California Department of Education.
How do we get PBIS at our school?
SJUSD provides team training to interested school sites through the PBIS Technical Assistance Center at the Placer County Office of Education (PCOE). For more information, contact Dominic Covello (Director, Student Support Services) email@example.com, and Sean Bollinger (Behavior Support Specialist) firstname.lastname@example.org.
PBIS for Parents and Families
Myths about PBIS
Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning
Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning
Behavior Support Specialist
School Psychologist and Behavior Support Specialist
Director, Student Support Services