Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the difference between certificated and classified employees?

    • Certificated Employees - You must have a teaching, counseling or nursing certificate to be considered a certificated employee. This includes teachers, counselors and nurses.
    • Classified Employees - This includes most support personnel, such as clerical, bus drivers, technical, instructional assistants, food services workers and accounting.


    What is the new hire process like?

    Once an applicant has been conditionally offered a position by the Human Resources representative, the applicant will be required to complete pre-employment processing.

    Transcripts may be required for certificated employees


    Background check and fingerprint clearance

    All employees must be fingerprinted by San Juan Unified School District. The applicant will receive a LiveScan Request from the HR Representative. There is a $59.00 fee for the fingerprinting services.

    • Fingerprinting is done by appointment only Monday - Friday during the hours of 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM in 10-minute increments.
    • Appointments can be set at Book Now


    TB Clearance/Risk Assessment

    Employees will be provided with a Tuberculosis Risk Assessment form from Human Resources to complete and return for processing.  A credentialed school nurse will assess the information provided and contact the employee for additional information, if required.

    Employees may check their TB expiration status via the district's Employee Self Service (ESS) portal.

    For additional information regarding the TB Risk Assessment, please refer to the following link:  Additional TB Risk Assessment Information

    Employees may also contact Health Services at (916) 971-7643 with any questions.  


    Identification Badge

    All employees must have an I.D. Badge with a photo. Photos for the I.D. Badge can be taken at the District Office Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Badges will be delivered to the employee’s work site.


    What retirement options are available?

    California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS)

    If you are a permanent certificated employee working 20 or more hours per week, you will be automatically enrolled in CalSTRS.

    • CalSTRS deductions are 8% of your gross earnings
      • Contract earning deductions go to the CalSTRS Defined Benefit Program
      • Other earning deductions (e.g., coaching, summer school, hourly pay) go to the CalSTRS Defined Benefit Supplemental Program.

    If you are thinking about retirement, visit the CalSTRS website or schedule an appointment with a CalSTRS counselor by calling (800) 228-5453.

    Public Employee Retirement System (PERS)

    If you are a permanent classified employee working 20 or more hours per week, you will be automatically enrolled in PERS.

    • PERS deductions are 7% of your gross earnings
    • You become vested in PERS after 5 years of service credit.


    What unions does the district have?

    The District has several Collective Bargaining Agreements:

    • California School Employees Association (CSEA) - General Unit (primarily instructional, clerical, and Technology Services)
    • California School Employees Association (CSEA) - Operations Unit (Maintenance & Operations and Food Services)
    • Teamsters (Transportation)
    • Confidential Group (Confidential staff)
    • San Juan Professional Educators Coalition (SJPEC) - (certificated supervisors such as principals, vice-principals, coordinators and program specialists)
    • San Juan Teachers Association (SJTA) - (teachers, counselors, speech therapists, librarians and nurses)
    • San Juan Administrators Association (SJAA) - non-certificated administrative employees
    • San Juan Supervisors Association - non-certificated supervisors


    Each unit has a different contract which describes specific rights, benefits, etc. Please look over your contract to become familiar with the content. You can find them posted at the Labor Relations website. Most bargaining groups are required to pay union dues or a service fee.

Last Modified on April 29, 2022