spanish 1 syllabus 2017
The following information will serve as a class syllabus, and guide as to the rules and procedures for this year. The basic goal of Spanish 1 is to learn and acquire the Spanish language, so that you can communicate through the development of listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. The class also seeks to familiarize the students with different aspects of the various hispanic cultures. The goal of communication is the most important. “Knowing how, when and why to say what to whom”. The focus of this class will be on language proficiency and of course accomplishment of the goals set forth in each section we study. The Spanish language will be used as much as possible in class. The goal is to reach at least the novice level proficiency (according to ACTFL guidelines).
1. All students will be at class on time ready to work and learn. The school tardy policy is enforced.
2. Every student is responsible to bring paper, pen or pencil, a spiral or regular notebook for taking notes and the class text and workbook handouts.
3. No radios, I Pods, telephones, or other devices that may cause distractions are allowed. Violation will lead to referrals. This is especially enforcced with CELL PHONES..
4. No food, drink, or gum is allowed in class. (You may bring water).
5. No late homework is accepted unless there is an excused absence. Late homework due to absence must be made up in a timely fashion. No late homework is accepted the last 2 weeks of the semester.
6. Cheating will result in a zero for that test or quiz as well as other consequences noted by the school integrity policy.
7. STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE TO MAKE UP TESTS MISSED DUE TO AN EXCUSED ABSENCE. This must be done in a timely fashion. Students may receive a test different from that taken by the rest of the class. Tests will be made up the day after an absence unless it has been a prolonged absence.
8. Students will show respect for the school, subject matter, each other and the teachers. Behavior that disrupts the class and learning environment will not be tolerated.
9. Homework is very important.
10. Use the bathroom before coming to class. Emergency should occur rarely. If you have a special issue or need, speak to me before class.
11. The wearing of OHIO STATE shirts, sweatshirts, and hats is frowned upon in this classroom.
12. All other Rio Americano school rules will be enforced.
There is no curve. This is a mastery course and you will be graded on your mastery of the material presented. Grading is as follows
100 to 90 A
89 to 80 B
79 to 70 C
69 to 60 D
59 to 00 F
Your grade will be determined from:
Tests, quizzes, orals, projects 70%
A running grade will be kept all semester. Grades are important and if I am doing my job well they are a very good reflection of your proficiency and achievement in this class. I suggest that each student focus on trying to learn as much as possible and the grade will reflect that. I load grades on the computer weekly. I also wish to note that I will maintain a web page giving the daily homework assignments in case you forget or are absent. See my web page on the Rio Americano web site.
I wish success to all students. I also want to make it clear that at any time you feel LOST or in need of help, please don’t hesitate to talk to me . I will find you the help you need. You will spend at least 180 hours of your life in this class. That is time you will never get back. In return I expect you to leave with the beginnings of a valuable communication tool , that of communicating in a beautiful new language.