Your student’s math class will soon begin studying the unit entitled “Numbers.”
This unit addresses important California Common Core Standards in the Critical Areas of findingcommon factors and multiples and understanding rational numbers.
Cluster Compute fluently with multi-digit numbers and find common factors andmultiples.The unit also supports additional standards.
Cluster Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system ofrational numbers.
Unit 1: Numbers
• How do you identify an integer and its opposite?
• How do you compare and order integers?
• How do you find and use absolute value?
• How can you find and use the greatest common factor of two whole numbers?
• How do you find and use the least common multiple of two numbers?
• How can you classify rational numbers?
• How do you identify opposites and absolute value of rational numbers?• How do you compare and order rational numbers?
One activity you can do together at the beginning of each unit is to
discuss the featured career in your student’s math book. At the
end of the unit you and your student can further explore this career
through the Math in Career Activity on the Unit Project page.
There are also many exciting online resources available to you and your student including
Math on the Spot video tutorials, Personal Math Trainer, and Animated Math activities.
Thank you for your time
Last Modified on August 13, 2015