Dear Family Member,
Your student’s math class will soon begin studying the unit entitled “Proportionality: Ratios and
This unit addresses important California Common Core Standards in the Critical Areas ofdeveloping understanding of and ability to apply ratio concepts.Cluster Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems.
Unit 3: Proportionality: Ratios and Rates
• How do you use ratios to compare two quantities?
• How do you use rates to compare quantities?
• How can you use ratios and rates to make comparisons and predictions?
• How can you represent real-world problems involving ratios and rates with tables and
• How can you solve problems with proportions?
• How do you convert units within a measurement system?
• How can you use ratios to convert measurements?
• How can you write a ratio as a percent?
• How can you write equivalent percents, fractions, and decimals?• How do you use percents to solve problems?
One activity you can do together at the beginning of each unit is to
discuss the featured career in your student’s math book. At the
end of the unit you and your student can further explore this career
through the Math in Career Activity on the Unit Project page.
There are also many exciting online resources available to you and your student including
Math on the Spot video tutorials, Personal Math Trainer, and Animated Math activities.
Thank you for your time and interest. Your participation in your student’s education is a sure way
to encourage learning!
Last Modified on August 13, 2015