Dear Family Member,
Your student’s math class will soon begin studying the unit entitled “Equivalent Expressions.”
This unit addresses important California Common Core Standards in the Critical Areas ofunderstanding algebraic expressions and solving equations and inequalities.
Cluster Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraicexpressions.The unit also supports additional standards.Cluster Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.Unit 4: Equivalent Expressions
• How do you use exponents to represent numbers?
• How do you write the prime factorization of a number?
• How do you use the order of operations to evaluate expressions with exponents?
• How can you model and write algebraic expressions?
• How can you use the order of operations to evaluate algebraic expressions?• How can you identify and write equivalent expressions?
One activity you can do together at the beginning of each unit is to
discuss the featured career in your student’s math book. At the
end of the unit you and your student can further explore this career
through the Math in Career Activity on the Unit Project page.
There are also many exciting online resources available to you and your student including
Math on the Spot video tutorials, Personal Math Trainer, and Animated Math activities.
Thank you for your time and interest. Your participation in your student’s education is a sure way
to encourage learning!
Last Modified on August 13, 2015