Your student’s math class will soon begin studying the unit entitled “Relationships in
This unit addresses important California Common Core Standards in the Critical Areas of findingarea, surface area, and volumes and finding distance and area in the coordinate plane.
Cluster Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area,and volume.The unit also supports additional standards.
Cluster Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system ofrational numbers.Unit 6: Relationships in Geometry
• How can you find the areas of parallelograms, rhombuses, and trapezoids?
• How do you find the area of a triangle?
• How do you use equations to solve problems about area of rectangles, parallelograms,
trapezoids, and triangles?
• How can you find the area of a polygon by breaking it into simpler shapes?
• How can you use absolute value to find the distance between two points with the same
x- or y-coordinates?
• How can you solve problems by drawing polygons in the coordinate plane?
• How can you use nets to find surface areas?
• How do you find the volume of a rectangular prism?
• How do you write equations to solve problems involving the volume of rectangularprisms?
One activity you can do together at the beginning of each unit is to
discuss the featured career in your student’s math book. At the
end of the unit you and your student can further explore this career
through the Math in Career Activity on the Unit Project page.
There are also many exciting online resources available to you and your student including
Math on the Spot video tutorials, Personal Math Trainer, and Animated Math activities.
Thank you for your time
Last Modified on August 14, 2015