Class Syllabus - Glencoe Earth Science
· Homework will be assigned primarily when classwork is unfinished and will include assignments such as textbook questions, worksheets, projects, reading, notes, project material gathering, or studying for upcoming tests/quizzes.
· Some chapters will require an individual, partner, or group project
· Projects will be worked on in class, and if not completed, finished at home
· Some projects may be assigned as homework assignments
· Students must show teamwork, responsibility, exemplary work and organization in order to complete challenging projects/experiments.
· Projects are graded based on effort, collaboration when required, content mastery/proof of understanding, timeliness, organization, neatness and grade level performance.
· There will be occasional quizzes assigned after some lessons.
· Chapter tests will be given as needed, but projects will often be utilized to assess student understanding as a substitution of tests.
25% Homework: Completed homework assignments
25% Performance: Class participation, contribution to group assignments, note taking, effort
50% Tests/Quizzes, Projects, Experiments: Chapter tests and lesson quizzes (pop quizzes may arise)
Students will not receive credit for an assignment if:
· Any homework assignments are late
o This includes not having your homework ready in time for HW check off/correction
· Any problems on the homework are not answered thoughtfully
Late assignments must be turned in to the LATE BASKET at least 2 weeks prior to the end of the trimester and will receive 50% of the credit earned.
Binder (shared with other subjects as long as there’s a science divider)
· We will do several projects throughout the year, which require additional materials such as paint, shoe boxes, clay, etc. You will always be notified of upcoming projects and be given sufficient time to collect supplies.
Students are expected to be respectful, responsible and kind. Due to the use of equipment that requires responsibility by students, a student may be given an alternate paper assignment to be completed rather than project if behavior does not prove adequate.
Any questions/concerns about your child, please email me at email@example.com
I will get back to you as quickly as possible. Thank you and I look forward to a great year!