• The English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) is a committee comprised of parents, staff, and community members specifically designated to advise school officials on English Learner program services. Each school, grades kindergarten through with or mo
    re English learners must form a functioning English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC).

    The ELAC shall be responsible for:

    • Advising the principal and staff on programs and services for English learners.
    • Advising the School Site Council on the development of the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA)

    The ELAC membership must include parents/guardians of ELs but may also include other duly elected family & community members. The percentage parents/guardians who are elected must be at least equal to the percentage of English learners at the school site. For example, if 30% of the students at a given site are English learners, at least 30% of the membership of the ELAC must be parents of ELs. The remaining 70% of the committee members can be community members, teachers of participating students, instructional aides,
    parent liaisons, parents of non ELs and staff. Note that schools with a very small percentage of ELs may have a committee larger than 20. Certainly many more parents should be encouraged to attend scheduled meetings.

     
     
     
      
     
     
     
     
     
Last Modified on August 28, 2020