Montessori Program Overview
<fontsize="3">We began our Montessori journey in the Winter of 2011 and completed our transition to a TK-5 Montessori program in 2016. We have a total of three Early Childhood classrooms (TK-K), seven Lower Elementary classrooms (Grades 1-3), and 4 Upper Elementary classrooms (Grades 4-5). All of our classrooms are multi-age. This increases the opportunities for peer teaching and student leadership.
We believe that a Montessori education is a powerful approach that will foster life long learning, intrinsic motivation and prepare our children to be productive citizens. of our planet.
Below are a few highlights which will give you insight to our passion for this proven approach to learning.
The Cottage Montessori Program develops children who have:
- A love of learning
- A love of silence
- A sense of order
- Genuine concern for others
Benefits of a Montessori Education:
- The students learn in a prepared environment, one of the central tenets of Montessori;s philosophy of learning.
- The prepared environment allows the child to fully develop and learn at his or her own pace through scientifically developed purposeful activities.
- The students learn with Montessori trained teachers who facilitate learning through supervising, nurturing, and guiding the child on his path to self-discovery.
- Montessori teachers are trained observers and recorders of the child's progress.
- Montessori teachers serve as a role model having intellectual curiosity, self-discipline, and a passion for learning.
- At Cottage Montessori our teachers have both California State Teaching Credentials and Montessori certification.
- The students learn using didactic materials, specifically designed hand-on materials which are self correcting using size, color, number or shape.
- The students' classroom is furnished with child-size furniture and fixtures. Everything is within the child's reach and easily accessible.
- The students have long periods of uninterrupted work. This helps the child build a high level of concentration while gaining a deep understanding of the concepts being learned.
- The students have individualized learning which follows his or her own inner pace and learning preference as they progress through the curriculum.
- The students have opportunities for peer teaching. When a child can explain what they know to make others understand, they gain a truer and deeper understanding for themselves.