Problem Resolution

  • From time to time, parents and guardians may not agree with actions taken by staff at their child’s school or may have concerns about how their child is getting along with other students. This conflict can feel uncomfortable for all involved, but it is also an opportunity to advocate for your student’s needs, learn more about your child and his/her school, find common ground and improve your communication with the school.  San Juan Unified welcomes constructive criticism when it is motivated by a sincere desire to improve the quality of our educational programs and provide support for our students.


    Steps to take if you have a concern:


    1. Gather the facts
      Noting details, like times, places and who was involved can be helpful in determining how to narrow down and resolve the issue.  Keep in mind, you may not have all the details of the situation.  

    2. Meet with involved parties
      Express your concern calmly, respectfully and listen to their perspective.

    3. Contact the site administrator
      Administrators will need time to investigate your concern depending on the issue.  Please allow one to two working days for a response.


    Two parents meeting with teacher



Other ways to report concerns:

  • We always encourage individuals to raise concerns directly with those involved whenever possible. That's not always an option depending on the situation so it may be advised to bring a concern to a principal or vice principal. The district also provides the following methods to share concerns and assist in resolving problems: 


    • If your concern remains unresolved at the school site level, contact the Coordinator for School and Family Problem Resolution in the Family and Community Engagement Department at (916) 971-7023.  FACE staff members are trained to listen to your concern and help facilitate conversations with your school site and across district departments to find a resolution.

    • Tell Someone is an online form that can be completed by anyone. It is sent directly to district level staff to review. As appropriate, concerns are shared with site staff to help facilitate a resolution. Any type of safety, bullying or harassment concern can be shared via Tell Someone. You may also send a text message to (916) 243-5552. This number is monitored by our Safe Schools and Family and Community Engagement staff.

    • If your concern alleges violations of federal laws or regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and/or bullying based on actual or perceived sex, race or ethnicity, color, national origin, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, sexual preference, ancestry, ethnic group identification, gender, gender expression, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or on the basis of a person's association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics you may also file a Uniform Complaint

Last Modified on June 29, 2022