ACADEMIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
To encourage and promote academic excellence, all students participating in extracurricular activities shall demonstrate satisfactory minimum progress in meeting the requirements of graduation by undertaking the prescribed course of study and meeting the standards of proficiency established by the District.
The requirement has two elements. To be eligible for participation, the student:
- Must have earned an overall minimum 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 grading scale during the preceding grading period; and
- Must have passed five of six classes (no more than 1 F) during the preceding grading period. Students taking only the minimum number of classes must pass all of their classes to be eligible.
According to the CIF, scholastic eligibility requires the student to pass the equivalent of at least 20 semester periods of work at the completion of the most recent grading period. Weighted grades are not used to calculate eligibility per the CIF Bylaws.
A grading period will constitute an eligibility period. The grade issued at the end of each grading period will be used to determine eligibility.
- For purposes of determining eligibility, a grade of incomplete is computed as an “F” or failure until a letter grade is assigned. When the letter grade is determined, the student’s grade point average is required. Generally, incompletes are only assigned when a student had a long-term illness or after unforeseeable and unpreventable absence from school that prevented the student from completing the assigned work during the grading period.
- For eligibility purposes, once a letter grade is assigned, the grade may be changed only if the person assigning the grade determines that an error was made in computing the grade. If a student requests that a teacher reconsider a grade, the reconsideration must be based on work assigned, due, and completed prior to the end of the grading period. Work submitted or assigned after the end of the grading period may not be used to improve or diminish an assigned grade.
- Schools declare at the beginning of the year the grading periods and eligibility declaration days that they will use. Eligibility will be declared after each school-wide grading period.
A student becomes eligible or ineligible for athletic participation only when declared so by the site Athletic Administrator or site Athletic Director.
The District will follow CIF guidelines and procedures related to the eligibility of continuation/independent study school students returning to a comprehensive high school. Please check with the school’s Athletic Director or Administrator.