Newcomer Summer School Program 2019
For Newcomer Students Entering Grades 6 - 12
Site: Arcade Middle School
3500 Edison Ave
Sacramento, CA 95821
Session 1: June 17 – July 5, 2019
8:00 am – 2:00 pm Monday - Friday
(July 4th HOLIDAY-NO SCHOOL)
Session 2: July 8 - July 26, 2019
8:00 am – 2:00 pm Monday - Friday
The Newcomer Summer School program is designed for English Learners in need of additional language development to further their academic success. Student eligibility will be based on English Learner status, Refugee status, ELPAC score of level 1 or 2.
- To improve listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in English.
- To provide U.S. cultural norms, school content, and social skills to better prepare them for their next school year.
- To support students with high school graduation requirements by offering high school credit and providing one to one graduation plans.
- To give newcomer English Learners full access to high-quality English language Arts, while progressing students through the ELD-level continuum.
- To strengthen English language and literacy skills.
- To participate in sustained dialogue on a variety of topics.
- To explain their thinking and build on others’ ideas.
- To construct arguments and justify their positions persuasively with sound evidence.
- To effectively produce written and oral texts.
There are two sessions at the Newcomer summer school; session 1 runs from June 17 2019 to July 5, 2019 (July 4, 2019 is a holiday), and session 2 runs from July 8, 2019 to July 26, 2019. The program will be conducted at Arcade Fundamental Middle School located at 3500 Edison Ave, Sacramento, CA 95821.
A crucial element of Newcomer Summer School is the counselor component, which consists of an hour for each student of transcript analysis, graduation check, career exploration, and Naviance navigation.
The Newcomer Summer School Program will be offered to students in 6-12th grades. Students in this program have “Level 1 or 2” ELPAC and have been in the U.S. three years or less. Instructional focus will be on the English Language Development Standards and ELA Common Core State Standards. Class size is expected to be 20-25 students. Classrooms will be multi-aged and according to language proficiency or grade level. Classes will be canceled if enrollment is insufficient.
There will be field trips to Sacramento Aquatic Center and the Capital tour with an educational IMAX movie at the end of each session.
Attendance Policy: Students who do not attend on the first day of their assigned session for summer school will be dropped. In addition, once enrolled, 3 absences (attendance is taken two times a day) will result in the student being dropped from the program and no credit earned. One full day absences will be marked as 2 absences. On the third absence, the student will be dropped from the summer school.
Transportation: Transportation will be provided from Encina Preparatory High School to Arcade Fundamental Middle School and from Arcade Fundamental Middle School to Encina Preparatory High School.
Registration: To register, download and fill out an application below. Applications are available in different languages below. All applications must be reviewed and approved by the student’s counselor with a transcript attached.
SEND COMPLETED APPLICATIONS TO:
San Juan Central, Room 17
3700 Garfield Ave, Carmichael CA 95608
Attention: Jennifer Lancaster
Or send by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jennifer Lancaster at 916-979-8568, email@example.com