English Language Proficiency Assessment of California (ELPAC)
Summative ELPAC 2020: Due to the unprecendented circumstances of school closures surrounding Covid-19, all Summative ELPAC testing has been suspended this school year. For more information, please visit the CA Department of Education's webpage regarding state testing.
Initial Assessment (IA)
Administered to students with a primary language other than English, as determined by a home language survey, who have not taken the California English Language Development Test (CELDT) or ELPAC before and who have not been previously classified as an English Learner, must take the ELPAC Initial Assessment (IA).
Inital ELPAC 2020-2021 Testing Window: July 1 - June 30
Summative Assessment (SA)
Students designated as ELs via the CELDT or ELPAC IA are required to take the ELPAC SA annually until they are reclassified as fluent English proficient. The purpose of ELPAC SA is to determine the level of English language proficiency of students and to assess the progress of students in acquiring listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in English.
Summative ELPAC 2021 Testing Window:
For High Schools: February 1 - March 26
For Grades TK - 8: February 1 - April 16
Online ELPAC Summative Practice Tests Available!
- ELPAC Online Practice Test Flyer - English
- ELPAC Online Practice Test Flyer - Arabic
- ELPAC Online Practice Test Flyer - Farsi
- ELPAC Online Practice Test Flyer - Russian
- ELPAC Online Practice Test Flyer - Spanish
- ELPAC Online Practice Test Flyer - Ukrainian
- ELPAC Practice Test Site
- ELPAC: Understanding Student Score Reports
- California Department of Education webpage for ELPAC
- ELPAC Practice Tests
- Parent Guide to Understanding the ELPAC—English (PDF)
- Parent Guide to Understanding the ELPAC—Arabic (PDF)
- Parent Guide to Understanding the ELPAC—Chinese (Simplified) (PDF)
- Parent Guide to Understanding the ELPAC—Chinese (Traditional) (PDF)
- Parent Guide to Understanding the ELPAC—Korean (PDF)
- Parent Guide to Understanding the ELPAC—Spanish (PDF)
- Parent Guide to Understanding the ELPAC—Tagalog (PDF)
- Parent Guide to Understanding the ELPAC—Vietnamese (PDF)