Discovery Club Reopening
Note: Only families at schools in phase I have been contacted at this time (June 12) and those in other phases will receive notifications in the coming week(s).
To participate in the lottery for summer enrollment, please complete the Waiting list form.
We’re excited to announce that our Discovery Club programs will begin reopening in phases starting June 22, 2020. In each phase, we will open additional sites and welcome more of our students and families back. To protect the health and safety of our students, staff members, families and community, Discovery Club will look different and our classes will be much smaller in accordance with health guidelines. Read on to find out how you can apply if your student needs care and what changes are being made.
Applications & Priorities for non subsidized Discovery Club sites
To be considered for enrollment, please complete the Waiting list form. To be eligible your child must be an enrolled TK/Kindergarten-5th/6th grader at the school site you are applying for Discovery Club services. Due to the County Health Guidelines which requires a reduction of available seats for child care programs, seats will be assigned via random lottery, which mirrors our centralized enrollment process through San Juan Central. Priorities will be given in the lottery process to the following: students currently enrolled, children of essential workers, children of current staff whose site is their primary place of employment, and for siblings.
For classrooms opening on June 22 and July 1, the enrollment lottery process will run 3 days Monday, June 15, through Wednesday, June 17. Enrollment results will be communicated June 18-19. For all other sites, the lottery processes will run through June 30. Results will be shared 7 days prior to opening. Be sure to have your application submitted prior to June 15 for phase 1 and 2. For all other phases, submit your application prior to June 30. Those who are not provided a seat through the lottery will be notified of their placement on the waiting list. Please note that no priority will be given for enrollment applications that are turned in before others.
Phase 1: June 22, 2020
Phase 2: July 1, 2020
Phase 3: July 13, 2020
Phase 4: July 20, 2020
Phase 5: July 27, 2020
Summer: Our hours of operation will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during our summer session. A minimum contract of 10 hours per week is required to secure a seat.
School Year: Once the K-12 division has determined the model for the opening of the school year we will communicate Discovery Club operating hours, enrollment priorities and processes.
While our goal is to provide service to all students, we have enrollment limitations that have been placed upon us by the California Department of Social Services, California Department of Education / Early Learning and Care Division, and the Department of Health Services. Under current guidelines, we can have 10 school age children per classroom to allow for social distancing. As these restrictions loosen, we may be able to enroll additional students from our waiting lists. We will communicate any enrollment changes with you in a timely manner so you are able to make decisions and arrangements as you need.
In a typical school year, our Discovery Club program serves over 1,500 students. These new restrictions mean that, regrettably, we will not be able to serve the same number of students and families we do in a typical year. We recognize the potential impact and upset this may have on families who are not given a Discovery Club seat through the lottery. As conditions improve, and restrictions are lifted, we are committed to getting as many children back into Discovery Club as possible.
Cleaning, Health & Hygiene
Our division of maintenance and operations is working closely with each Discovery Club center to assure proper sanitization and personal protective equipment is available at all times. Below you will also find a list of the cleaning and hygiene practices being implemented in the program to protect your child, your family, and our staff.
- Adhering to the guiding documents OSHA, SCOE, CDE and CDPH
- DC rooms will be cleaned and sanitized prior to opening each day
- Prior to re-opening HVAC systems will be cleaned, filters changed and outside air exchange rates will be increased
- Surgical masks provided for staff
- Cloth masks will also be provided for staff upon request
- Soap, paper towels and wipes available and accessible
- Employees will have sneeze guards where applicable for one on one interactions with students.
Practices we will be following within each classroom, which are based on the recommendations and guidelines from public health officials at this time, include and are not limited to the following:
- Hand sanitizing stations will be placed and utilized in each classroom by both students and staff.
- Training for staff will occur on enhanced sanitation practices, physical distancing guidelines, screening practices and use of face coverings per OSHA regulations.
- A container designated for toys that need to be cleaned, sanitized, or disinfected before being introduced back into the classroom environment will be identified and the contents will be cleaned nightly.
- Discovery Club will have limited toys and manipulatives accessible that are easy to clean and disinfect throughout the day. We will also provide individually labeled bins and bags with toys and belongings for each child. In the event a child puts a toy in their mouth, it will be cleaned and sanitized. Toys that are difficult to clean (e.g. soft toys) will either be removed from the classroom or carefully monitored for use by individual children only.
- In order to avoid mixing groups and reduce the number of contacts, parents/caregivers will be asked to meet the teacher at the classroom door where they may sign their student in and out. We request that you do not enter the classroom due to health guidelines
- Children’s temperatures will be taken each morning with a no-touch thermometer along with other screening practices
- Staff and children will be monitored throughout the day for signs of illness; children with a fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, cough, or other COVID-19 symptoms will be sent home immediately and may not return until symptoms are not present for 48 hours
- Developmentally appropriate activities will be arranged for smaller groups and our classrooms are being rearranged with furniture and play spaces to maintain 6 feet of separation, when possible.
- Spacing instructions, to support social distancing, will be posted in both indoor and outdoor spaces that are developmentally appropriate and easy for children to understand.
From the classroom & the Program Manager
During these rapidly changing times, communication is more important than ever. In addition to regular communication with your teacher, Discovery Club parents can expect weekly communication to keep you updated should any health guidelines or classroom practices change. The Discovery Club program manager will open a Zoom meeting prior to re-opening to help parents understand what the re-opening will look like once enrollment is completed.
Questions & Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns, it is important that you reach out to your classroom teacher and or the Program Manager for Discovery Club, Jim Walters at 916-971-5903 or email@example.com. Mr. Walters, along with the Discovery Club staff, will connect with you right away to resolve any issues and answer questions you may have.