• For information and updates regarding Fall 2020 - visit www.sanjuan.edu/fall2020.

    San Juan Unified School District logo with tree  

    Online Address Change Requests


    Welcome to the San Juan Unified School District's online address change request webpage. Below you will find instructions on how to do an online request to update your household address. Please be aware that this option is only available for students currently enrolled in San Juan Unified School District. Read all instructions carefully and please visit the Frequently Asked Questions section if you have any questions. For the safety of our students, only a parent, legal guardian, or notarized caregiver should submit an online address change request.


    1. The first step in order to request an address change online is to log in to the district Parent Portal website. You will need to have your parent PIN and password ready in order to log in. If this is your first time logging in to Parent Portal, you will need to click on the 'Need your login information' screen to request your login PIN and password. 

    Parent Portal main page

    2. Once you are signed in to Parent Portal, click on the Re-Enrollment link located on the top right area of your screen. 


    3. Select one of your students and click on the Edit button. Then click on the Address Change Request line to be directed to the screen where you can submit your address change request. 


    4. On the address change request screen, make sure to read all the instructions carefully. Make sure that you click submit after you upload each document so that they save correctly. 

    The following documents are required and must be uploaded in order for your request to be valid:

    - Address Change Request Form (Please list all students) 

    - Proof of address document #1: CURRENT mortgage/property tax bill or rental/lease agreement

    - Proof of address document #2: CURRENT utility bill (SMUD, PG & E or WATER) with correct name and address

    - Shared Residency Affidavit, if applicable


    5. Click 'Return' on the top of your screen and then click on 'Back'. If all documents were uploaded successfully, your request will be sent to the San Juan Central Enrollment department for processing. An enrollment technician will be assigned to process your online address change request and will contact you when it has been completed. Please allow 24-48 hours for processing. 

    link to Parent Portal

  • Frequently Asked Questions


    Q: What is the next step after submitting my online address change request? 

    A: After successful submission of your online address change request, you will receive a confirmation email letting you that your request was received by the San Juan Central Enrollment staff. An enrollment technician will be assigned to process your request and will contact you via email after the request is processed. Please allow 24-48 hours for processing. 

    Q: I have moved to a new address. How do I find the assigned school of residence? 

    A: You can find your assigned school of residence by using our online school locator webpage. Click here to visit our school locator webpage and type in your new address. 

    Q: How do I move my student(s) to the assigned school of residence for my new address? 

    A: During the processing of your address change request, the assigned enrollment technician will contact you if your new address is outside of the boundaries of your student(s) current school. At this time, you will be able to request a move to the new school of residence. Please be aware that placements are based on space availability, thus we cannot guarantee that we can place your student at your new resident school. If this occurs, the enrollment technician will explain the overload process to you. 

    Q: If the school of residence for my new address is different than the school that my student(s) currently attend, can I request that my student(s) stay at their current school? 

    A: You will need to submit an intra-district transfer application in order to request continuing enrollment for your student(s). If your new address is outside of San Juan Unified School District, you will need to submit an inter-district transfer from your resident school district. For more information, please visit our Transfers webpage.

    Q: If I have more than one student enrolled in the district, do I need to submit an address change request for each student? 

    A: No, only one change of address request is needed per household. However, make sure that you list each student in your household on the Change of Address Request Form.

    Q: If my new address is outside the boundaries of San Juan Unified School District, can I request that my students stay at their current school? 

    A: You will need to request an Inter-district transfer permit from your resident school district. Inter-district transfers are approved based on space available at requested school and grades, attendance, and behavior of the student. For more information, please visit our Transfers webpage.

    Q: Is there some way to change my Parent Portal PIN?

    A: Unfortunately, no. The PIN (Personal Identification Number) is generated by the student information system. There is no way to change that number.

    Q: Who do I contact if I forget my PIN or my password?

    A: You can click on the "Need Your Login Information" link, enter your email address on file with your student's school and have your login information delivered via that email. PINs and passwords may also be obtained by contacting the Technology Services Helpdesk at helpdesksis@sanjuan.edu.

    Q: How do I update my email address? Or change my password?

    A: Once you are logged onto the Parent Portal, click the “Account” link in the upper-right corner of the screen. A window will open with fields for you to update your email address or your password. Edit the information and click “Submit.”

  • San Juan Unified School District

    San Juan Central Enrollment — Admissions and Family Services

    E: enrollment@sanjuan.edu — P: (916) 726-5826