Barrett Middle School Modernization Project
San Juan Unified is in the planning stages of a full modernization of Barrett Middle School, funded by the district's bond program. The project's initial design (the district is still collecting feedback) includes:
- Brand new construction of a science building
- Brand new construction of a multipurpose room/gymnasium
- The current multipurpose room will be a modernized food court
- Removal of portables and outdated classrooms to make room for more usable outdoor space (quad area)
- Full renovation of all remaining classrooms to bring them up to 21st Century standards
- Modernized administration building on the front corner of campus
- Fencing that enforces a single entry point through the administration building
- Expanded parking lots with traffic lanes designed for better circulation during pickup and dropoff times
- Check out the animated video to the right for a visual of what this will all look like ----------->
Want emailed communication about the Barrett Modernization project throughout construction? Please fill out the form below.
Keith Reid, Communication Specialist
Barrett Neighbor Meeting
On August 26, 2020, San Juan Unified held a meeting with direct neighbors to Barrett Middle School via Zoom. That meeting was held to allow district officials to hear the neighbor's concerns about the project including traffic, parking, and other issues. The meeting included a full overview of the initial project design (the team is still collecting feedback before submitting to the state architect), an overview of construction logistics and a Q&A. The full recording of that meeting is below.