Interdistrict Transfer Requests
Transfer Into San Juan USD
For non-SJUSD residents who want to transfer their enrollment into SJUSD.
For SJUSD residents who want to transfer their enrollment out of SJUSD.
Need help? Use the San Juan USD Enrollment Guide!
Hours and Location
Interdistrict transfer priority window for 2021-2022
For families that live outside of San Juan Unified School District - The priority window to submit an interdistrict transfer permit to attend a school in San Juan USD for the 2021-2022 school year starts on Monday, January 4th at 8:00 am and ends on Friday, February 26 at 5:00 pm. The signed interdistrict transfer application from your resident school district can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at San Juan Central (3700 Garfield Avenue, Carmichael, CA 95608). Please also submit your student's current grades, attendance, and behavior records along with the interdistrict transfer application. If you have any questions about this process, please email us at email@example.com.
What is an Interdistrict Transfer?An Interdistrict Transfer is a special permission a child is given to attend a school outside their resident district.
When is the SJUSD priority window for interdistrict transfers?The transfer window is typically between the first business day in January and the last business day in February. Check this page often for exact dates.
What happens if I submit out of the priority window?After the close of the priority window, Interdistrict transferapplications will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
When the number of applicants exceeds the number of Interdistrict Transfers that can be accepted due to space, students will be selected by a random drawing of applications.
- For current school year requests: A final decision will be provided to parents within 60 calendar days from the date of receipt of the request.
- For future school year requests: A final decision will be provided to parents no later than 14 calendar days following the beginning of the school year for which enrollment is sought.
- Parents will be notified by letter of the student's acceptance or denial for placement in the San Juan Unified School District. If the interdistrict transfer is denied, parents are advised by letter of the right to appeal the district's final decision to the county board of education within 30 days of the date of the final denial of transfer.
Terms for Revocation of an Interdistrict Transfer (ITP Agreement):
The Parties agree that an ITP may be revoked before the conclusion of the school year based upon the following grounds:
- If a student does not maintain a 95% attendance rate and/or a SART or SARB has been held;
- If a student does not maintain a 2.0 GPA in grades 7-10 or satisfactory marks in K-6;
- If a student has any suspendable offenses and/or the pupil has a behavior support plan;
- If a student is recommended for expulsion; or
- If it is determined that information provided to support an ITP application is inaccurate, invalid, falsified, or no longer applies.
However, once an ITP has been approved, the Superintendent or designee of the district of attendance may not revoke a student's ITP during the effective period of the ITP because of overcrowded facilities.
District programs and activities shall be free from discrimination based on actual or perceived sex, race, age, color, religion, ancestry, nationality, national origin, immigration status, ethnicity, ethnic group identification, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.