Note: All district facilities including the district office and San Juan Central enrollment center are closed to the public until further notice. Please continue to check www.sanjuan.edu for updates.
Please check this webpage frequently for updates. San Juan Central Enrollment is working on a remote process for current and future enrollments. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we adapt our enrollment procedures to meet the needs of San Juan students and families.
Interdistrict Transfer requests for 2020-2021 submitted during the priority window Jan. 2 - Feb. 28 should be notified by mail by mid-April.
Intradistrict/Interdistrict Transfer requests for 2020-2021 submitted starting March 2 will be processed as received, notification will be by mail starting in May.
If your student is on a waitlist for a school of choice from the Open Enrollment lottery for the 2020-2021 school year, please be aware that waitlist placements may be delayed until June or July.
The deadline to enroll students for granted Open Enrollment requests and/or interdistrict transfers for the 2020/2021 school year has been extended to June 1, 2020. Subject to change, please check this webpage periodically for updates.
Should you wish to contact the transfer desk regarding the transfer process or to follow up on any transfer submitted, please call (916) 979-8876 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Interdistrict Transfer requests (from outside of San Juan) priority window for the 2020-2021 school year is from January 2, 2020 to February 28, 2020. (Scroll down for more information).
Intradistrict Transfer requests (San Juan Residents) for the 2020-2021 school year is from March 2, 2020 to May 1 2020.
Intradistrict transfers:What is an Intradistrict transfer?
An Intradistrict Transfer is a request for a child to attend a school other than their resident school in the current year.
If you are interested in your child attending a different school for the following school year it is recommended you go through Open Enrollment.
Who is eligible?
All families who reside within the boundaries of San Juan Unified School District (SJUSD).
**If you do not live in the SJUSD boundary area please see Interdistrict applications.**
When and where can I submit an application?
Families are encouraged to apply through the Open Enrollment Lottery between Dec. 2, 2019 - Jan. 17, 2020, for possible space at the requested school in the 2020-2021 school year. The Open Enrollment Lottery gives families the best possibility of getting into a requested school. For further information on Open Enrollment click here.
Is there anything else I should be aware of?
- Intradistrict Transfers are either approved or denied based on space availability and other criteria. If student is not currently enrolled in SJUSD, please submit with the Intradistrict Application a recent report card/transcript with grades, behavior and attendance. If applicable, also submit IEP.
- If your request is denied, student will be placed on the waiting list after the students that went through the Open Enrollment Lottery. There will be no priority for students with siblings at the requested school or to children of employees in the San Juan Unified School District on the waiting list.
- ALL waiting lists expire on December 31st every year.
- The Open Enrollment Application counts as your Intradistrict transfer for the year.
- Once an Intradistrict Transfer is approved the requested school becomes the resident school.
- Only ONE request may be submitted per year, whether granted or denied.
- There is NO busing transportation available for Intradistrict Transfer students. Parents are responsible for transportation to and from school.
- Intradistrict Transfers may be revoked due to overcrowding, poor attendance, credit deficiency, behavior, etc.
- Special education placements need to reviewed by the Special Education Department before a transfer is approved.
What is an Interdistrict Transfer?An Interdistrict Transfer is special permission a child is given to attend a school outside their resident district.
The initial submission window for incoming Interdistrict requests for the 2020-2021 school year is January 2, 2020 to February 28, 2020
When the number of applicants exceeds the number of Interdistrict Transfers that can be accepted due to space, students will be selected by a random drawing of applications.
After the close of the priority window on February 28, 2020, Interdistrict transfer applications will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
**If you live within the boundaries of San Juan Unified School District please see Intradistrict information.**
What is the process coming into San Juan Unified?
- First, you must submit an interdistrict transfer request to your district of residence. Please make sure to include a copy of your student's attendance, behavior, grades, and IEP (if applicable) with your request - applications will not be processed without this information. Once your district of residence releases your child(ren) they will mail the interdistrict request to SJUSD.
- Second, SJUSD reviews your application and approves or denies based on space availability and other criteria. You will be notified of the outcome via mail or phone.
- Third, if San Juan Unified School District (SJUSD) approves your application you will have to enroll your child at San Juan Central before they can attend school in SJUSD.
- First you submit an application to San Juan Central via mail or in person. All interdistrict transfer requests must be accompanied by documentation to justify the reason for the transfer request.
- Second, San Juan Central will approve or deny your request. If the application is approved, San Juan Central will mail the approved application to the requested district for their review. If your application is denied by SJUSD, you will be notified via mail.
- Third, you will have to complete the withdrawal process from your current SJUSD school.
- Fourth, complete the enrollment process at the requested district.
For current school year requests: A final decision will be provided to parents within 30 calendar days from the date of receipt of the request.
For future school year requests: A final decision will be provided to parents no later than 14 calendar days following the beginning of the school year for which enrollment is sought.
Parents will be notified by letter of the student's acceptance or denial for placement in San Juan Unified School District. If the inter district transfer is denied, parents are advised by letter of the right to appeal the district's final decision to the county board of education within 30 days of the date of the final denial of transfer.
Terms for Revocation of an Inter District Transfer (ITP Agreement):
The Parties agree that an ITP may be revoked before the conclusion of the school year based upon the following grounds:
- If a student does not maintain a 95% attendance rate and/or a SART or SARB has been held;
- If a student does not maintain a 2.0 GPA in grades 7-10 or satisfactory marks in K-6;
- If a student has any suspendable offenses and/or the pupil has a behavior support plan;
- If a student is recommended for expulsion; or
- If it is determined that information provided to support an ITP application is inaccurate, invalid, falsified, or no longer applies.
However, once an ITP has been approved, the Superintendent or designee of the district of attendance may not revoke a student's ITP during the effective period of the ITP because of overcrowded facilities.District programs and activities shall be free from discrimination based on actual or perceived sex, race, age, color, religion, ancestry, nationality, national origin, immigration status, ethnicity, ethnic group identification, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.