Honors InformationAs students make requests for Honors courses, we urge all parents to consider all of the data San Juan Unified School District has historically used for decisions regarding placement. This data includes: achievement test data, grades in the core subject areas, and school/teacher recommendation. Motivation and interest level of the student relative to each subject requested must also be considered.Indicators of Honors Level Course Success (not all indicators will be present in all successful Honors students)
There is a very strong expectation that students complete the year in the level (standard or Honors) that they started. Based on instructional best practice, and the limitations of the master schedule, we do NOT support the approach of trying an Honors level class, and changing midyear if it is not working out, or vice versa.
- Demonstrates interest/curiosity in the subject area.
- Previous attainment of prerequisite skills and vocabulary in the subject area.
- Motivation remains high in face of challenges. (High frustration threshold)
- Reads above grade level.
- Engages in higher level critical thinking.
- Self-motivated, well-organized, and apt to work independently for extended periods.
- Demonstrates ability to self-advocate, seeks help and guidance when needed.
- Consistently completes and submits assignments on time.
- Actively participates in class activities and discussions with appropriate peer interactions.
- Extends learning by voluntarily going beyond the parameters of the assignment.Enjoys learning, and makes connections between subjects and with the larger world.
Last Modified on June 25, 2014