How to Become a Guest Teacher
Welcome to SJUSD Certificated Substitute Support and Information!Thank you for your interest in becoming a Guest Teacher with the San Juan Unified School District! The following information outlines the guest teacher application and selection process, as well as provides answers to other substitute-specific questions.
- GuestLine Fall 2016 - In process
- Guest Teacher Handbook - Document with procedures and policies for all of San Juan Unified School District's Guest Teachers.
- Update July 1, 2016 - San Juan Unified School district is now accepting applications for Guest Teachers. Please select the application process link below and fill out the certificated on-line application. Once submitted, Sub Services will contact the most qualified applicants with further information.
- Attention CalSTRS retirees under 60!
Effective July 1, 2010, CalSTRS retirees under the age of 60 will be subject to a zero dollar earnings limitation during the first six months after retirement. Members under 60 who return to work for CalSTRS-related service within the first six months of retiring will have their retirement allowance reduced on a dollar-for-dollar basis. After six months have passed, the under 60 retirees may receive compensation, subject to the current postretirement earnings limit.
EligibilityAll new candidates interested in guest teaching in the San Juan Unified School District must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a teaching credential based on a degree and student teaching OR
- Be eligible to apply for an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit which has the minimum requirements of:
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree or higher; and
- Passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) or CSET Multiple Subject with Writing
- Successfully complete a screening interview with the Human Resources Office;
- Show teaching competency by:
- Completion of a teaching credential program based on a degree and student teaching OR
- Completion of the online Substitute Teacher Training Program ($39.95 fee) linked to this site with a passing SubAssessment composite score of 85% or better. Bring a copy of the SubAssessment Diploma with a passing composite grade of 85% or higher to your Screening Interview
- Pass a Criminal Background Check
Guest Teacher Application Process
Click here to view the steps for becoming a Guest Teacher.
Daily Salary Information
Click here for the full guest teacher salary schedule.Time sheets are due the 25th of every month. You will be paid the following month on the 10th.Click here for the guest teacher time sheet.
Find a Sub Assignment
Find a Sub assignment by phone or online: SmartFindExpressSan Juan Unified School District uses an automated computerized Substitute Management System (SmartFindExpress). This system provides the ability to review and accept open sub assignments now and into the future.SmartFindExpress Phone Line (24 hrs): (916) 507-0381 *updated 1/11/2018
SmartFindExpress Web Browser Link (24 hrs): https://sanjuan.eschoolsolutions.com *updated 1/11/2018With SmartFindExpress you can:
- Modify callback number
- Modify availability dates
- View assignments
- Review historical data
- Cancel assignments
- Search for assignments
Address / Phone Number ChangesKeeping your address and phone number current in Substitute Services and Payroll is critical. Written notification of address change is required. Please send the information to Substitute Services with a copy to Payroll.
Social SecuritySocial Security is comprised of two parts (OASDI 6.2% of your gross pay and Medicare 1.45% of your gross pay). Certificated substitute teachers do not pay into OASDI but they do pay into Medicare.
CA State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS)If you are a current CalSTRS member, all substitute earnings will be subject to CalSTRS contribution and Medicare deductions.CalSTRS Permissive Membership ElectionIf you are not currently a CalSTRS member, you have the right to elect membership at any time while employed to perform creditable service. In order to elect or decline membership with CalSTRS, you will be required to complete a CalSTRS Permissive Membership Form ES-0350.
APPLEIf you are a substitute employee and are not currently a STRS member, you have the option to enroll in San Juan's Mandatory Retirement System (APPLE).
- Contributions towards APPLE are 7.5% of the gross pay.
- Once you work for 101 days or 601 hours in a Fiscal Year (July 1 to June 30) OR more than 10 days or 60 hours in a month, membership in the State Teachers Retirement System (STRS) is mandatory and you will be automatically enrolled in STRS.
- At that time, your APPLE deduction will stop and you may request a refund through the Benefit Department, but penalties may apply.
Contact InformationFor any additional questions regarding substitute teaching the in the San Juan Unified School District, contact Substitute Services at (916) 971-7245.Click here to view the Guest Teacher FAQ
- GuestLine Fall 2016 - In process
District Telephone Numbers
|Board of Education:||(916) 971-7111|
|Human Resources:||(916) 971-7193|
|Substitute Help Desk (Certificated)6:30am to 3:30pm - school days:||(916) 971-7245|
|Substitute Help Desk (Classified) 7:00am to 5:00pm - School days||(916) 971-7242|
|Substitute Help Desk (Classified) 8:30am - 5:00pm||(916) 971-7745|
|Substitute Request Line (SmartFindExpress):||(916) 971-7827|
|IMC (Instructional Media Center):||(916) 971-7371|
|Labor Relations:||(916) 979-8444|
|Special Education:||(916) 971-7953|
|Superintendent's Office:||(916) 971-7104|
|Workers Compensation Office:||(916) 971-7756|