International Exchange Students
The San Juan Unified School District (SJUSD) and its Board of Education, guided by the mission and objectives of the district’s Strategic Plan, recognizes that personal contact between students of different countries and cultures promotes global awareness and international understanding. To that end, the Board welcomes the enrollment of international exchange high school students.
All applications should be submitted by the international exchange agency to the Director of Admissions for review. Applications may be submitted in person or by mail to San Juan Central, 3700 Garfield Avenue, Carmichael, CA. 95608.
Please submit applications by May 15th,2022 for priority placement for the school year of 2022-2023.
Applications will be reviewed by June 2022.
The following criteria has to be met in order for San Juan Central to accept students:
- The international exchange student is participating in an exchange program registered with the California Attorney General’s Office and accepted for listing on the Registry of International Student Exchange Visitor Placement Organizations (ISEVPO).
- The international exchange student shall not be over 18 years of age on the first day of attendance in a District high school.
- The international exchange student shall not previously have graduated from any secondary program or the equivalent.
- The international exchange student has a sufficient command of the English language to enable him/her to function well in an English-speaking academic community environment.
- The host family’s residence address is identified on the written request.
- The host family’s residence address is in the attendance area of the requested high school, or the requested high school is the school where the host family’s students currently attend. Due to space availability at certain high schools, international exchange students may have to attend a school outside of the host family's school of residence.
District programs and activities shall be free from discrimination based on actual or perceived sex, race, age, color, religion, ancestry, nationality, national origin, immigration status, ethnicity, ethnic group identification, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.