Welcome to SJUSD Certificated Support and Information!Below are some resources to help you continue to be a successful member of the San Juan team. This page is only an outline of topics. For the complete and actual language, please consult the contract for your bargaining unit.
What is the Difference Between Classified and Certificated Employees?
- Certificated Employees - You must have a teaching, counseling or nursing certificate to be considered a certificated employee. This includes teachers, counselors and nurses.
- Classified Employees - This includes most support personnel, such as clerical, bus drivers, technical, instructional assistants, food services workers and accounting. If that fits you, click to go to the Classified Employee Support page.
Completing the New Hire ProcessAfter you have been offered a job by an H.R. Personnel Technician and accepted it, you will need to complete the new hire process.
- Transcripts - Original (unsealed) transcripts are required.
- New Hire Processing - Your Personnel Technician will schedule an appointment with you to sign your contract and process the new hire paperwork..
- Fingerprint Clearance - Fingerprinting may be done at SJUSD District Office.
- Fingerprinting is done by appointment only Monday - Friday during the hours of 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM in 10 minute increments.
- Appointments can be set here, Book Now.
- (Fingerprinting Instructions and Directions) Bring the LiveScan Request form from your new hire packet.
- There is a $59.00 charge to cover fingerprinting.
- TB Clearance - TB Tests are given at the TB Clinic. Please see below for applicable days and times. You must return two days later to complete the test.
- TB CLINIC Hours:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm.
- Closed on Holidays
- ID Badge - All employees must have an I.D. Badge with a photo. Photos for the I.D. Badge can be taken at the District Office Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Bring the Identification Badge Request form from your new hire packet. Badges will be delivered to the work site.
Benefits OrientationEligible employees of San Juan Unified School District are offered a comprehensive benefits package. These benefits include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage. The District contribution for your benefits is determined by your applicable employee group. See Benefits Cost Schedules for detailed information regarding the cost of your benefits package.
- New Employees must apply for benefits within 30 days of the hire date or wait until the yearly Open Enrollment period in May or June.
- Benefits Orientations are given every Tuesday at 10:00 am and 3:30 pm at the District Office.
- Contact Benefits at 971-7662 if you have any questions.
Sick LeaveAs a regular employee, you earn approximately one day of sick leave for every month you work. Sick leave is for use when you are ill or injured. Your sick leave balance is shown on your pay check stub.
- Please notify your supervisor as soon as possible when you are out ill.
- Contact whichever substitute management system you are told to use.
- SmartFindExpress Online or 916-507-0381
- As soon as you return to work, complete an Employee Absence Form and give it to your supervisor for signature and distribution to Payroll.
- When requesting personal necessity, give your supervisor at least 48 hours prior notice. Avoid PN days on Monday or Friday or before/after a holiday.
- As soon as you return to work, complete an Employee Absence Form and return it to your supervisor for signature and distribution to Payroll.
How To Request a SubRequest a Sub by Phone or Online: SmartFindExpress
San Juan Unified School District uses an automated computerized Substitute Management System (SmartFindExpress). This system provides the ability to report an absence and request a substitute now and into the future.
- SmartFindExpress Web Browser Link (24 hrs): http://sanjuan.eschoolsolutions.com
- SmartFindExpress Phone Line (24 hrs): (916) 507-0381
- Directions for Employees: SmartFindExpress Employee Quick Reference
Placement on the Salary ScheduleCertificated personnel are placed on the salary schedule according to experience and education. The Criteria for Teacher Salary Schedule below should answer most questions on this issue. Complete procedures on placement are part of the Collective Bargaining Contract and should be consulted if there are further questions.
When Is Payday?The District pays employees once a month.
- Contracted teachers are paid on the last business day of each month.
- Substitute, temporary work or additional hours are submitted on a timecard. Timecards must be submitted by the 25th of each month and will be paid on the 10th of the following month.
- Paychecks are delivered to your work site.
- To have your check deposited directly to your bank account, fill out Direct Deposit - Start, Change or Cancel.
- To help you decipher your pay warrant, see the Pay Statement Details.
Certificated EvaluationsThe San Juan Unified School District and the San Juan Teachers' Association have collaborated to develop a professional evaluation plan designed to combine the district's three operational goals with the California Teaching Standards. Together the goals and standards form a unique evaluation/professional development plan that enhances the formative years of newer employees. In a guided process designed with a focus upon specific teaching standards/elements, teachers participate in a process leading to a thorough incorporation of the standards and operational goals within their professional practices.
California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS)If you are a permanent certificated employee working 20 or more hours per week, you will be automatically enrolled in CalSTRS.
- CalSTRS deductions are 8% of your gross earnings
- Contract earning deductions go to the CalSTRS Defined Benefit Program
- Other earning deductions (e.g., coaching, summer school, hourly pay) go to the CalSTRS Defined Benefit Supplemental Program.
Know Your Bargaining UnitThe District has several Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- San Juan Professional Educators Coalition (SJPEC) - (certificated supervisors such as principals, vice-principals, coordinators and program specialists)
- San Juan Teachers Association (SJTA) - (teachers, counselors, speech therapists, librarians and nurses)
District Telephone Numbers
|Board of Education:||(916) 971-7111|
|Human Resources:||(916) 971-7193|
|Substitute Help Desk (Certificated)6:30am to 3:30pm - school days:||(916) 971-7245|
|Substitute Help Desk (Classified) 7:00am to 5:00pm - School days||(916) 971-7242|
|Substitute Help Desk (Classified) 8:30am - 5:00pm||(916) 971-7745|
|Substitute Request Line (SmartFindExpress):||(916) 971-7827|
|IMC (Instructional Media Center):||(916) 971-7371|
|Labor Relations:||(916) 979-8444|
|Special Education:||(916) 971-7953|
|Superintendent's Office:||(916) 971-7104|
|Workers Compensation Office:||(916) 971-7756|
Last Modified on June 26, 2018