Classified Support

  • Close up picture of a bunch of sharpened pencils sitting upright

    Welcome to SJUSD Classified Support and Information!

    Below are some resources to help you continue to be a successful member of the San Juan team.  This page is only an outline of topics. For the complete and actual language, please consult the contract for your bargaining unit.

    Definition: Classified and Certificated Employees  

    • Classified Employees - This includes most support personnel, such as clerical, bus drivers, technical, instructional assistants, food services workers and accounting.
    • Certificated Employees - You must have a teaching, counseling or nursing certificate to be considered a certificated employee. If this is you, click to go to the Certificated New Employee page.

    Classified Employees request subs with SmartFindExpress  

    Human Resources uses the automated SmartFindExpress to request classified substitutes. Employees go online or on the telephone to create an absence and request a sub. This includes school clerical employees, instructional assistants, interpreters, campus monitors, media techs and certain accounting employees. Substitutes will then be called, use the telephone or go online to choose sub assignments.
    • Call SmartFindExpress for a substitute 916-507-0381.
    • Go online to request a substitute https//
    • The telephone support number for Classified Employees and Substitutes is 971-7745.
    If you are in a position that does not authorize a sub until the third day of an absence, only request the sub for the authorized days.

    You must still complete an Absence Report upon your return and submit it to your supervisor.

    Classified New Hire Process  

    Once an applicant has been conditionally offered a position by the Human Resources Representative, the applicant will be required to complete pre-employment processing.
    Background check and fingerprint clearance: All employees must be fingerprinted by San Juan Unified School District. The applicant will receive a LiveScan Request from the HR Representative. There is a $59.00 fee for the fingerprinting services.
    Fingerprint Clearance - Fingerprinting may be done at the SJUSD District Office.
    • Fingerprinting is done by appointment only Monday - Friday during the hours of 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM in 10 minute increments.
    • Appointments can be set at Book Now
    TB Clearance: TB tests are given at the TB Clinic.  Please see below for applicable days and times.  You must return two days later to complete the test. 
      • TB Clinic Hours:
        • Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm.
        • Closed Holidays
    • Identification Badge: All employees must have an I.D. Badge with a photo. Photos for the I.D. Badge can be taken at the District Office Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Badges will be delivered to the employee’s work site.

    Benefits Orientation

    Eligible employees of San Juan Unified School District are offered a comprehensive benefits package. These benefits include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage. The District contribution for your benefits is determined by your applicable employee group. See Benefits Cost Schedules for detailed information regarding the cost of your benefits package.
    • New Employees must apply for benefits within 30 days of the hire date or wait until the yearly Open Enrollment period in May or June.
    • Benefits Orientations are given every Tuesday at 10:00 am and 3:30 pm at the District Office.
    • Bring two forms of I.D. to the Orientation as you will be filling out insurance and payroll forms.
    • Contact Benefits at 971-7662 if you have any questions.

    Sick Leave

    As a permanent employee, you earn approximately one comparable day of sick leave for every month you work. Sick leave is for use when you are ill or injured. Your sick leave balance is shown on your pay check stub.
    • Please notify your supervisor as soon as possible when you are out ill.
    • If you need a substitute (confirm with your supervisor), contact whichever substitute management system you are told to use.
    • As soon as you return to work, complete an Employee Absence Form and give it to your supervisor for signature and distribution to Payroll.
    Personal Necessity leave is a part of your sick leave balance that is available for absences of an emergency or personal nature.
    • When requesting personal necessity, give your supervisor at least 48 hours prior notice. Avoid PN days on Monday or Friday or before /after a holiday.
    • As soon as you return to work, complete an Employee Absence Form and return it to your supervisor for signature and distribution to Payroll.
    See more detail about different types of leave at the Leaves of Absence webpage.


    • As a regular full time employee, you earn approximately one vacation day for every month you work. Your vacation balance is shown on your pay check stub.
    • If you work less than 12 months, you are encouraged to use vacation within the work year earned.
    • Check the Work Year Calendars for mandatory vacation days.
    • To request vacation, complete a Employee Absence Form form and return it to your supervisor. Vacations must be approved in advance.
    • As soon as you return to work, complete an Employee Absence Form and return it to your supervisor.

    When Is Payday?

    The District pays employees once a month.
    • Regular employees are paid on the last working day of each month.
    • Substitute, temporary work or additional hours are submitted on a timecard. Timecards must be submitted by the 25th of each month and will be paid on the 10th of the following month.
    • Paychecks for permanent employees are delivered to the work site.
    • Paychecks for substitute employees are mailed home.
    • To have your check deposited directly to your bank account, fill out the Authorization for Electronic Direct Deposit.
    • To help you decipher your pay warrant, see the Pay Statement Details.

    Public Employee Retirement System (PERS)

    If you are a permanent classified employee working 20 or more hours per week, you will be automatically enrolled in PERS.
    • PERS deductions are 7% of your gross earnings
    • You become vested in PERS after 5 years of service credit.

    Work Year Calendars

    • Your Work Year Calendar lists holidays and identifies your first and last day of service.
    • If you are in a position that is less than 12 months per year, your non-work days/non-paid days are shown.
    • Any mandatory vacation days for your position are also identified.
    • Work Year Calendars.

    Evaluations - Probationary and Permanent Employees

    • As a new employee (not a substitute), you are probationary for one year. During that time, you will be evaluated twice. Your first evaluation will be at the end of the 5th month and the second will be at the end of the 11th month.
    • After your first year, if you meet standards, you become a permanent employee and receive evaluations annually between January and May. An unscheduled evaluation may be done at any time your supervisor deems necessary.
    • If you have been promoted, you are probationary in the new classification/position for six months.

    Know Your Bargaining Unit

    The District has Collective Bargaining Agreements with several units that represent classified employees.
    • California School Employees Association (CSEA) - General Unit (primarily instructional, clerical, and Technology Services)
    • California School Employees Association (CSEA) - Operations Unit (Maintenance & Operations and Food Services)
    • Teamsters (Transportation)
    • Confidential Group (Confidential staff)
    • Supervisors Unit (Supervisors)
    Each unit has a different contract which describes specific rights, benefits, etc. Please look over your contract to become familiar with the content. You can find them posted at the Labor Relations website. All classified employees (except Confidential) are required to pay union dues or a service fee.


District Telephone Numbers

Department Phone Number
Board of Education: (916) 971-7111
Human Resources: (916) 971-7193
Substitute Help Desk (Certificated)6:30am to 3:30pm - school days: (916) 971-7245
Substitute Help Desk (Classified) 7:00am to 5:00pm - School days (916) 971-7242
Substitute Help Desk (Classified) 8:30am - 5:00pm (916) 971-7745
Substitute Request Line (SmartFindExpress): (916) 971-7827
IMC (Instructional Media Center): (916) 971-7371
Labor Relations: (916) 979-8444
Maintenance/Operations: (916) 971-5740
Multilingual/Multicultural: (916) 971-5382
Payroll: (916) 971-7223
Special Education: (916) 971-7953
Superintendent's Office: (916) 971-7104
Transportation: (916) 971-7689
Workers Compensation Office: (916) 971-7756
Last Modified on June 26, 2018