Below are some resources to help you get started as a valuable member of the San Juan team.
Volunteers are Important!
The district values and encourages the assistance of parents/guardians and other members of the community in sharing their special knowledge and abilities with our students in roles as classroom assistants, art docents, reading tutors and in other areas. The district also welcomes volunteer improvement projects (self-help projects) that enhance the classroom or school, such as beautification projects, painting and gardening. Use of volunteers in services to the school district must comply with laws, regulations and policies.
Getting Started As a Volunteer
If you would like to volunteer, complete a Volunteer Information Form (Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian) or Business Volunteer Information Form and hand it into your local school office. At that time, they will give you the volunteer information for that school site and, if required, they will give you a Fingerprint form.Bring that Fingerprint form to Human Resources in the District office to be fingerprinted.Fingerprinting is done by appointment only Monday - Friday during the hours of 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM in 10 minute increments. Appointments must be scheduled through the fingerprint appointment link:We cannot process your fingerprints without the Fingerprint form from your school.
Some things you should know include:
- Volunteers who work directly with students away from direct supervision of district staff are required to be fingerprinted.
- Volunteers who drive students must complete the District Volunteer Vehicle Usage form.
- Volunteers must act in accordance with district policies, procedures and regulations, as well as follow individual site requirements.
- Required forms and instructions will be provided by the school.
- Click here for more Frequently Asked Questions (Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian).
SJUSD Volunteer Guidelines
- Sign in immediately upon arrival (at the school office or other designated sign-in area).
- Wear or show appropriate identification.
- Act in the best personal and educational interest of every child encountered.
- Maintain confidentiality outside of the school; do not discuss student issues, concerns or behaviors with anyone except teachers or school administrators.
- If you have concerns about student welfare or safety, discuss those concerns with teachers or school administrators.
- Promptly inform the teacher and school office when you are unable to attend or when you are no longer interested or available to volunteer.
Volunteers Self Help Project
If you are interested in completing a self-help project, please see the Principal or Site Administrator for additional information regarding the district’s self-help application process