Families can enroll in the independent study program at any time.
The TK-5 independent study program offers students a learning model that allows them to receive instruction remotely from fully credentialed San Juan Unified teachers. Each school day will include time for students and parents/guardians to connect with their teacher during open office hours and time for both synchronous and asynchronous instruction. Specialized services (English language development, special education services, social-emotional support) will be provided based on student needs. Students will also connect with other students remotely, and engage in independent work time. Daily attendance is expected.
- Grades TK-1: 1 hour, 15 minutes, minimum synchronous instruction with teacher, 4 days/week; 1 hour, minimum 1/day week (Thursday)
- Grades 2-3: 1 hour, 45 minutes minimum synchronous instruction with teacher, 4 days/week; 1 hour minimum 1/day week (Thursday)
- Grades 4-5: 2 hours, 15 minutes minimum, synchronous instruction with teacher, 4 days/week; 1 hour minimum, 1/day week (Thursday)
If you are interested in signing up for TK-8 Homeschool program or TK-5 Independent Study program, please fill out this interest form. Following the submitted form, you will be contacted to attend an informational meeting.
San Juan Unified has an established independent study program for grades 9-12 through El Sereno High School, which offers students the ability to guide their learning at their own pace. San Juan Unified will expand this program to also serve students in grades 6-8. Students in the program will be paired with a master teacher who will provide virtual guidance toward course completion and remain on track to meet the needs of their academic future to be college and/or career-ready.
- Weekly: minimum of 40 minutes of synchronous instruction or designated small group or one-on-one instruction delivered in person, or in the form of internet or telephonic communications
Families interested in 6-12 independent study should visit the El Sereno website and complete a transfer application. Families with an IEP must work with their case manager to schedule a change of placement IEP.
Specialized programs such as International Baccalaureate (IB), Rapid Learner, Montessori, STEAM, Dual Immersion and Performing Arts will only be offered through the district’s in-person option.
- Is this a new program to the district?
- Can students in the program still take part in school activities?
- Can students in the program access career tech classes?
- How are courses selected as part of the program?
- How are students supported when not meeting with a teacher?
- How is attendance measured in the program?
- Will students stay on track for graduation in the 9-12 independent learner program?