Comprehensive Sexual Health
- 5th Grade and 7th or 8th Grade Science: Each school site will be determining an instructional window for their comprehensive sexual health unit. Please view this document to see the dates when each school will be providing the Positive Prevention Plus unit for 5th grade students and Teen Talk Middle School unit for 7th and/or 8th grade students.
- High School Health: High school health is a semester class, so please contact your child's health teacher for the dates in which the Teen Talk unit will be taught.
Request a Digital Preview
Positive Prevention Plus is also providing a digital preview of this curriculum unit that you can view without a login.
- 7th or 8th grade Health Connected Teen Talk
- High School Health - Health Connected Teen Talk
- Secondary ILS Classes - Health Connected Teen Talk - Adapted for All Abilities
In May 2017, San Juan Unified revised school board policy to align with the purpose and intent of the California Healthy Youth Act. To learn more about the requirements in the California Healthy Youth Act, please visit the following resources:
- California Department of Education
- Fast Facts about the California Healthy Youth Act
- Facts about the California Healthy Youth Act for Grades K-6
- 5th Grade Comprehensive Sexual Health - Frequently Asked Questions
- Middle School Comprehensive Sexual Health - Frequently Asked Questions
- High School Comprehensive Sexual Health - Frequently Asked Questions
If you are a parent/guardian and would like to request a digital preview of the board adopted instructional materials that will be used for comprehensive sexual health instruction, please use the following links to request this access. Note: We only offer the digital preview to parents of current 5th grade students, 7th or 8th grade students, or students enrolled in high school health in our district
During the 2017-2018 school year, an adoption committee was convened to pilot and adopt new materials for comprehensive sexual health instruction in grades 5, middle school, and in high school health. After an extensive pilot and vetting process, new materials, aligned to the California Healthy Youth Act, were adopted by the school board. The materials are as follows:
- 5th Grade: Positive Prevention Plus for Upper Elementary
- Middle School (in grades 7 or 8 only): Health Connected Teen Talk Middle School
- High School (in high school health course): Health Connected Teen Talk High School
All teachers who will be providing comprehensive sexual health instruction have received extensive training.
Notification and Opt-Out Procedure
Both at the start of the school year and and two weeks before teachers begin the comprehensive sexual health instructional unit, a letter will be sent home with all students to provide notification to parents and guardians. In addition, the letter will provide details on when and where the curriculum may be viewed for more information. As stated in the notification letter, a student's parent/guardian may opt their child of the instructional unit. In the case that a student is opted out of the instructional unit, the teacher will provide an alternative assignment or activity in an alternative location.
To opt out, or remove, your child from the comprehensive sexual health instructional unit, please send a written note or email to your child's teacher or principal. It is important to note that if you do not opt your child out of the instructional unit, your child will participate in the comprehensive sexual health unit. This is a passive opt out and is required by the California Healthy Youth Act.
5th Grade Curriculum: If you are unable to view the materials at your child's school site and would like to request a digital preview, please complete this form.
Grade 7 or 8 curriculum: If you are unable to view the materials at your child's school site and would like to request a digital preview, please complete this form.
High School Health Class Curriculum: If you are unable to view the materials at your child's school site and would like to request a digital preview, please complete this form
Frequently Asked Questions
Based on parent feedback, we have developed a list of frequently asked questions for the 5th grade parents and guardians.
Please contact Paula Baucom, Program Specialist for K-12 Science/Health with any questions.