Hello Sierra Oaks families,
It's that time of year when we begin our end-of-year procedures and start our planning for next year. You should have received a district phone and email message detailing our district's plan to return to a full five day per week schedule next fall, with options for distance learning if desired.
Grade Level Articulation:
Our staff has begun the articulation process for next year, building class rosters. Although we do not take parent requests for particular teachers, we do welcome parent input as to what helps each child do their best learning. This information helps with placing your child in a class that meets his/her learning needs/styles best.
If you would like to provide this helpful information, please fill out this form:
iReady Testing (Grades 3-8):
All of our 3rd -8th grade students are taking the iReady diagnostic in place of the CAASPP spring assessment. If your child did not take or complete the reading test on May 12th, or the math test on May 19th, he or she has until Friday, May 28th to complete the tests. Students must log into their portal, click on the iReady tile, and select either reading or math, to take or complete the test. Students will only be able to access the tests between the hours of 8:00am and 4:00 pm. If your student needs any support with accessing the test or has any questions, please call our office or reach our to your child's teacher.
Summer School Opportunities:
Please see the summer school opportunities listed below in this newsletter. Sierra Oaks students may sign-up for week long camps through Mission Oaks Recreation and Park District utilizing our district voucher system. If you are interested in camps through Mission Oaks, please review the programs linked below, and fill out the interest form. We will reach out to you to facilitate the paid voucher process.
Expanded Learning Opportunities Plan - Site Level Actions
The plan provides for supplemental instruction and support to students, including those identified as needing academic, social-emotional, and other supports, for the next three school years.
1. Sierra Oaks will be hiring one additional full time employee to provide direct service to students focused on supporting core subject areas (ELA, math, science, social studies).
2. Sierra Oaks will be provided an additional site allocation of $100,000 to develop a plan that is connected with Local Control Accountability Plan focus areas and increases direct service to students. Site leadership team, in collaboration with staff, will develop this plan.
3. Sierra Oaks will continue to implement School Partnership Projects , such as our current partnership with Mission Oaks Recreation and Park district.
4. Sierra Oaks and SJUSD will offer an additional 18 hours of professional learning and collaboration for all SJTA members around trauma informed practices, social emotional learning, instructional strategies, and social justice standards.
5. Sierra Oaks will recruit and hire 1 full time instructional assistant per grade level in grades K, 1, and 2, to provide direct services to students.
Returning School Materials:
During the week of May 31st - June 4th, students in cohorts AB will need to return textbooks, library books, or any other materials checked out from the school. If students still have materials from last year, they should return those too. Students in Cohort C can return textbooks to the school on Wednesday June, 2nd, from 8:00 am-4:30 pm , or Thursday June 3rd, from 12:00 - 4:30pm.
Families may keep chromebooks and hotspots if needed. We are only collecting chromebooks and hotspots from:
- students disenrolling for the 2021-22 school year.
- families with multiple devices who no longer need multiple devices.
- students not participating in summer learning and are planning for a full return to in-person learning at Sierra Oaks in the fall.
Again, I'd like to thank all of our Sierra Oaks families for your continued patience through our three drop off and pick-up parking lots. Your patience is our students' safety.
Please continue to reach out to your student's teachers with questions. Please reach out to our Sierra Oaks office if you need any support with anything (916) 575-2390.
Principal, Sierra Oaks K-8 School