Academic Programs & Philosophy
Starr King TK-8 School combines a challenging academic program with civic responsibility. The academic program provides for the needs of high achievers as well as modifications and accommodations to assist students with specific learning needs.
At Starr King TK-8 School, each student is valued. Our staff understands that each student responds differently to a particular stimuli,therefore our teachers reach students through a variety of effective research based strategies.
Starr King TK-8 School shares a multi-site facility with the Ralph Richardson Center for orthopedically handicapped students. Due to its unique campus, Starr King TK-8 School has a close-knit, friendly environment.
Starr King TK-8 School is a PBIS school (Positive Behavior Intervention Support) that emphasizes and reinforces three school rules: Be Respectful, Responsible, and Safe.Some of the specific programs and activities offered at Starr King TK-8 School include:
- Students are expected to problem solve and think critically,collaborate and lead amongst their peers, adapt to change and take initiative in their learning, communicate effectively through both writing and speech, access and analyze information, and invoke their curiosity and imagination.
- Starr King focuses on developing foundational reading skills and comprehension of text.
- Starr King staff is highly trained and certificated in Guided Language Acquisition Design.
- Instruction is differentiated to fit unique needs of each and every student.
- At Starr King TK-8, students will learn to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse group of peers.
- Starr King TK-8 integrates technology into instruction.
- Starr King offers an enriching program which includes physical education, art, music, and English language development.
- Each day starts on a positive note with a video broadcast informing students and staff of upcoming events and teaching character education.
- Starr King has a beautiful library, where students can go to enjoy reading.