Preparing for College - If you are looking for FAFSA Resources click here
College Admissions and Placement Testing
This is an excellent resource for college admissions and placement testing.
It contains free study materials that cover any exam that a student might need to take before applying for college, like the ACT and SAT, among several others!
They include free, up-to-date and complete practice tests!Know the required college prep courses to create your Course Plan. Then meet with your counselor to make sure it matches your goals.Here is a calendar to guide you to college through your 11th and 12th grade year. - What to do junior and senior year!
Log on to Naviance to complete interest inventories or search options.Here is a quick reference guide for the different University systems. - A step by step guide to college.
Characteristics of Successful College Students - You don't just want to get into college, you want to be successful once you are there. 27% of college freshmen don't come back their sophomore year. Know what makes the difference.
Most colleges maintain websites that provide information for prospective students. These sites are easily accessed with an online search.
Independent organizations also provide information on schools and programs. Links to a select group of these sites follows:
- Princeton Review
- College Navigator
- Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities
- Assist - search for majors and information on transferring from a community college
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- My College Guide
- California Colleges - Check out the tools sections for a college interest-matching program. Find a specific UC or CSU campus and see how your GPA and test scores compare to those students admitted last year.
- Degrees In Sports
Standardized Test Preparation
- B&B Test Prep
- http://www.khanacademy.org- SAT test prep site for the Redesigned SAT - For tests after March 2016!!
- www.number2.com - Free SAT, ACT, GRE test preparation and vocabulary builder.
- www.4tests.com - Free online practice tests for the SAT and ACT.
- www.powerprep.com - Strategies for college testing; FAQ about testing
- TestPrepPractice.net - ACT practice tests and tips
- SAT Question of the Day - subscribe
Applying to College
Colleges prefer online applications. November 30th is the deadline for the UC and the CSU system. Independent colleges set their own deadlines, which run from November 30th to February 15th.
Letters of Recommendation
Student Information Form for Teacher Letters
Student Information Form for Counselor LettersAreas to be addressed by letters of recommendation
Paying for College
What does UC cost?
What does CSU cost?
You've been Accepted! What to do now ...
Colleges send out their letters of admission in the spring. May first is the most common deadline for students to accept one of the offers of admission.
All admission decisions are conditional on the successful completion of your senior year. Colleges may rescind admission to students who earn low grades in college preparatory classes during their senior year. Make sure you arrange to have your final transcript sent to the university you have chosen.
Denial Letter Received - What does it mean?