Honors / Accelerated Program Information
Students who have demonstrated high achievement, interest, and/or potential in one or more academic areas may be ready to take honors/accelerated classes. Enrollment in these classes takes place in the spring during the course selection process. At that time, sites will assist students in choosing which science, English, social studies and/or accelerated math classes will best meet their academic needs.
The curriculum and instruction in honors/accelerated classes are designed to engage and challenge advanced learners, e.g. problem-based learning, research, and investigations. Honors/accelerated classes provide opportunities to build on individual academic strengths, develop critical and creative thinking skills, and prepare students for advanced coursework in high school, i.e. Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate at Mira Loma, or traditional High School Honors courses.
Honors Indicators of Success
Demonstrated Interest / Curiosity in the subject area.
- Previous attainment of prerequisite skills and vocabulary in the subject area.
- Motivation remains high in the face of challenges.
- High frustration threshold.
- Reads above grade level.
- Engages in higher critical thinking.
- Self-motivated, well organized and apt to work independently for extended periods.
- Demonstrated ability to self-advocate, seeks help and guidance when needed.
- Consistently completes and submits assignments on time.
Honors / Accelerated Program Placement Criteria
Winter MAP Language Arts score
Language Arts Report Card
Honors Social Studies
Winter MAP Language Arts
Social Studies/ELA Report Card
Winter MAP ELA & Math
Math, Science/ELA Report Card
Winter MAP Math
Math Report Card