**ALL FLEX OPERATIONS ARE CURRENTLY ON HOLD DURING DISTANCE LEARNING**
Mesa Verde FLEX Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the purpose for Mesa Verde’s FLEX period?
A 31-minute academic support/enrichment period that is built into the instructional day and is available for ALL students in ALL content areas four days a week.
Why did Mesa Verde High School develop the FLEX period?
The block schedule moves quickly. As a result, students can fall behind quickly as each term progresses. While we have often offered tutoring and other means of support for our students, we have seen minimal results of a large scale as these methods were not built into the schedule and were often not accessible to the majority of our students. With the 31-minute FLEX period students are now provided with opportunities to receive help as needed every week and it is built in to their structure.
When does the FLEX period take place?
Every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday after second period. In some instances, however, FLEX will not be available. For example, we do not have FLEX on Minimum Days or on the PSAT testing day.
Who Attends FLEX?
Every student. Students will be requested by teachers and in some cases students will request to meet with specific teachers.
Where Are The Common Areas and What Is The Expectation?
Performing Arts Center = Area for students to collaborate and work on classwork. Cell phones, music, and excessive unproductive socializing will not be permitted. Library = Area for students to work independently on homework and/or study for other classes. Area will mirror that of a public library and should be quiet at all times so all students can concentrate. Other teachers classrooms = In some cases, staff members will provide learning centers in their classroom during FLEX time for students to come and work quietly.
What is the Teacher’s Role and Responsibility During FLEX?
1. At the beginning of the FLEX period teachers will take attendance using the FLEXIsched program.
2. Teachers will ensure that all students are actively engaged in school work and are utilizing the time productively.
3. Teachers will provide support and/or enrichment for students during FLEX and will have consistent expectations for their students. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. Intervening with students that are failing (F) or in danger of failing (D) by providing tutoring and/or remediation
b. Providing opportunities for students to make up missed work (tests, quizzes, projects, labs, etc.)
c. Allowing 1-on-1 or small group tutoring or study sessions for all students
d. Re-teaching key content to students during FLEX
e. Conferencing with students
f. Planned re-teaching for entire class provided first instruction has already taken place
What is the Student’s Role and Responsibility During FLEX?
1. Students will use the FLEXIsched program to create their FLEX schedule
2. Students will attend all FLEX periods when they are requested by a teacher through FLEXIsched
3. Students will participate in learning and will maintain exemplary citizenship. Students who do not make this commitment may be referred to the Re-FLEX support series and/or progressive discipline will be enforced.
What are Administrator and Counselor Roles & Responsibility During FLEX?
1. They will monitor the common areas and send students back to their scheduled FLEX period if they are not eligible to be in other areas.
2. They will ensure no students are wandering the hallways and are arriving to FLEX on time.
3. They will hold students accountable if they are not using the time properly.
4. They will observe classrooms.
5. They will provide opportunities for teachers to give feedback.