Kaiser/ SJUSD Summer Preceptorship (Job Shadow)
The Kaiser Job Preceptorship takes place virtually over a 3 week period during the summer.
Any current junior (11th grade) student enrolled in an SJUSD school can apply.
WHAT IS A PRECEPTORSHIP?
A preceptorship is a period of practical career experience and training for a student that is supervised by an expert or specialist in a particular field.
WHAT IS THE KAISER SUMMER JOB SHADOW PROGRAM?
Students are viewed as a part of the team. Although the experience is strictly observational, inquiry and discussion with Kaiser medical professionals are expected. Students complete a weekly journal, assigned classroom activities and assignments, and offer a final TED Talk-style presentation.
- Students must be current juniors and enrolled in an SJUSD high school.
- Due to the medical nature of the activities, specific immunizations are required. (N/A in virtual setting)
- The program in the summer of 2021 will run from June 21st, 2021 through July 8th, 2021. Students must commit to attending the entire program including the final day, July 2nd for student-led research presentations.
- June 21 – July 8 (3 weeks)
- 1st Week – Monday through Thursday, 2nd Week – Tuesday through Friday, 3rd Week - Google Classroom Assignments
- Week 1 from 11:30am – 1:30pm (2 speaker slots, 11:30am – 12:30pm and 12:30pm – 1:30pm)
- Week 2 from 12:30pm – 2:30pm (2 speaker slots, 12:30pm – 1:30pm and 1:30pm – 2:30pm)
- Students will receive 5 elective credits posted on the transcript as Medical Assisting.
- Students must also submit to their high school counseling office the following, gathered in a packet:
- a copy of the responses from this form will be emailed to you when it is submitted.
- a statement, in letter form, addressing your "why" as it pertains to this opportunity.
- a resume.
- a transcript.
- a signed letter of recommendation.
Digital documents will be accepted.
ALL FORMS AND PAPERWORK MUST BE TURNED IN TO YOUR COUNSELING OFFICE -
By April 9, 2021!!
- Students with completed materials and accepted will be invited by email to a panel interview.
- Invitations for interviews will be issued by April 16, 2021.
- Interviews will take place April 19-23, 2021.
- Upon a successful interview, students will be notified if accepted into the program. Preceptorship placements will be offered by April 26, 2021.
- Student and parent/guardian attend an information meeting in May of 2021 - time TBD.
- Student and parent/guardian complete and sign Kaiser's program packet.
- Student and parent/guardian sign and submit SJUSD Summer School registration and other district forms. Students will receive 5 elective credits for participation.
- SJUSD Family Orientation Session will be held in the evening of May of 2021.
- If a student accepts an offered placement, they are expected to commit to participating in the program.
For more information please contact:
Ms. Kelly firstname.lastname@example.org (916) 546-5818
Julia Roesser email@example.com (916) 971-7165
To access the initial Google Doc application please log on to your SJUSD Google account and follow this link -