On July 20, the California Scholastic Federation (CIF) announced that fall sports would be delayed until at least January of 2021. Consequently, San Juan Unified has pasued all conditioning and training programs at this time.
On June 23, San Juan Unified’s plan for reopening athletic practices and drills received approval from the Sacramento County Department of Health Services, providing the green light for student-athletes to begin summer conditioning with teammates and on school campuses. The plan calls for three phases of reopening with phase one beginning June 29.
Under phase one, significant changes are implemented to help protect the health and safety of student-athletes as well as coaches and the community, including:
- Pre-workout screenings for symptoms of COVID-19 including temperature checks.
- Workouts will be conducted in groups of students with the same 5-10 students always working out together to limit the opportunity for exposure
- No gatherings of more than 10 people at any time either inside or outside
- Maintaining six feet of distance between individuals at all times
- Locker rooms will remain closed with students reporting to workouts in proper gear and returning home to shower at the end of the workout
- Cleaning and sanitization of equipment before and after use
- No sharing of equipment
- Additional measures
Phases two and three of the plan ease restrictions with more individuals allowed to participate and more activities allowed. Those phases will be implemented as conditions allow.
District staff will continue to monitor guidance from local and state officials and adjust the plan as needed. The California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) is expected to issue guidance on fall sports in mid to late July at which time San Juan Unified will provide an update on fall sporting events.
This plan allows for district athletics only and does not reopen school campuses for outside user groups. Staff members are evaluating the feasibility of providing access to outside sport and athletic groups while maintaining safe and sanitary conditions for students and staff members.