Transfers and Open Enrollment
- The Open Enrollment Lottery is an annual process that allows families who live within the boundaries of San Juan Unified School District an opportunity to request a school of their choice, provided there is space available at the requested school and families are willing to provide transportation.
- Available space is determined by defined physical and program capacity of the school after placement of enrolled resident students.
- The Open Enrollment Lottery application is available starting on Monday, Dec. 5, 2022, at 8 a.m. through Jan. 20, 2023, at 5 p.m.
Notification of the Open Enrollment Lottery Results
Parents will be notified by email of the Open Enrollment Lottery results.
The emails will be sent near the end of the first week of February 2023.
- Parents should receive the results from PowerSchool through the email you set up with your PowerSchool account.
- Please be aware that the Open Enrollment Lottery is not determined on a first come, first served basis.
- A computerized random lottery process will determine which students are accepted into their Open Enrollment choice school.
Family Priorities Assigned During Open Enrollment (Resident Families Only)
- Priority 1 - Returning to the family resident school
- Priority 2
- Siblings will attend the requested school for the Open Enrollment Lottery year
- A parent or legal guardian works at the requested school for the Open Enrollment Lottery year
- Priority schools - low-performing schools as identified by the state (may change from year to year)
- Priority 3
- A parent or legal guardian who works in the district, but not at the requested site for the Open Enrollment Lottery year
- A family who lives within a 40% superimposed boundary of an open school
- A family who lives adjacent to the boundary of a requested school that is not their resident school
- Priority 4 - All other resident families
(Outgoing) An interdistrict transfer is a transfer from San Juan Unified School District to a different school district.
- To transfer to a district outside of San Juan Unified School District, fill out the ITP below, have it signed by the San Juan Director of Enrollment, and take it to your new district.
- Interdistrict Transfer Permit (Fillable)
(Incoming) An interdistrict transfer is also a transfer from an outside district into San Juan Unified School District.
- The priority window for Interdistrict transfers into San Juan Unified for the 2023-24 school year was Jan. 30, 2023 through Feb. 28, 2023.
- To transfer from an outside district to San Juan Unified School District, please follow the steps below:
- Secure an Interdistrict Transfer Permit (ITP) from the district you are leaving, fill it out and make a copy for yourself, then turn in one completed copy to the district from which you are requesting the release.
- Take your copy of the ITP, upload it to the ITP transfer form through PowerSchool and answer all the questions. The ITP you upload does not need to be signed by the releasing district, but before we process the request we will need to receive a signed copy from the district with the release being granted. This is done by the school district, not you.
- Please click the link below to begin the process of your interdistrict transfer for the 2023-24 school year:
- An Intradistrict transfer is a request from a resident of the San Juan Unified School District to change schools within the San Juan Unified School District.
- An Intradistrict transfer is for those families who missed the Open Enrollment window.
- The priority window for the Intradistrict transfer for the 2023-24 school year is March 1, 2023, through April 28, 2023.
- To apply for an Intradistrict transfer please click the links below: