Open Enrollment / Transfers
Three types of transfers in San Juan Unified School District
- Open Enrollment
- Interdistrict Transfer
- Intradistrict transfer
***Only one transfer request per student per year is permitted by families***
***For any transfer request, if your child is placed on a wait list, that wait list will be active through December 31st of the school year for which that request was made.***
Open Enrollment Lottery
- The Open Enrollment Lottery is an annual process that allows families who live within the boundaries of San Juan Unified School District an opportunity to request a school of their choice, provided there is space available at the requested school and families are willing to provide transportation.
- Available space is determined by defined physical and program capacity of the school after placement of enrolled resident students.
- The Open Enrollment Lottery application will be available starting on Monday, December 5, 2022, at 8 a.m through January 20, 2023, at 5 p.m.
- Open Enrollment school information nights and school visitations schedule
- Open Enrollment brochures: English Spanish Russian Ukrainian Arabic Farsi/Dari Pashto
- 40% boundary map for open schools
Notification of the Open Enrollment Lottery Results
- Parents will be notified by email of the Open Enrollment Lottery results.
- The emails will be sent near the end of the first week of February 2023.
- Parents should receive the results from PowerSchool through the email you set up with your PowerSchool account.
- Please be aware that the Open Enrollment Lottery is not determined on a first come, first served basis.
- A computerized random lottery process will determine which students are accepted into their Open Enrollment choice school.
Apply for the Open Enrollment Lottery at the links below starting December 5, 2022 at 8:00 AM
Interdistrict Transfers (Outgoing / Incoming)
(Outgoing) An interdistrict transfer is a transfer from San Juan Unified School District to a different school district.
- To transfer to a district outside of San Juan Unified School District, fill out the ITP below, have it signed by the San Juan Director of Enrollment, and take it to your new district.
- Interdistrict Transfer Permit (Fillable)
(Incoming) An interdistrict transfer is also a transfer from an outside district into San Juan Unified School District.
- The priority window for Interdistrict transfers into San Juan Unified for the 2023-2024 school year will be January 30, 2023 through February 28, 2023.
- To transfer from an outside district to San Juan Unified School District, please follow the steps below:
- Secure an Interdistrict Transfer Permit (ITP) from the district you are leaving, fill it out and make a copy for yourself, then turn in one completed copy to the district from which you are requesting the release.
- Take your copy of the ITP, upload it to the ITP transfer form through PowerSchool and answer all the questions. The ITP you upload does not need to be signed by the releasing district, but before we process the request we will need to receive a signed copy from the district with the release being granted. This is done by the school district, not you.
- Please click the link below to begin the process of your interdistrict transfer: Links will be posted January 30, 2023.
- An Intradistrict transfer is a request from a resident of San Juan Unified School District to change schools within San Juan Unified School District.
- An Intradistrict transfer is for those families who missed the Open Enrollment window.
- The priority window for the Intradistrict transfer for the 2023-2024 school year is March 1, 2023 through April 28, 2023.
- To apply for an Intradistrict transfer please click the links below: Links will be posted March 1,2023.
Hours and Location
Find Your School
The San Juan Unified School District Board of Education is committed to equal opportunity for all individuals in district programs and activities. District programs, activities and services shall be free from unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and/or bullying based on actual or perceived characteristics of race or ethnicity, color, ancestry, nationality, national origin, immigration status, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information, or on the basis of a person's association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.