Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title


Immunization Requirements

State law requires that for unconditional admission to school, all students under 18 shall be fully immunized according to requirements of the California Department of Health Services (Ed.Code § 49403 and 48216, District Policy 5141.3).

Immunizations required for admission to kindergarten

  • Polio

  • DTaP - Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis(whooping cough)

  • MMR - Measles/Mumps/Rubella
  • Hepatitis-B
  • Varicella (Chickenpox)

Admission to 7th grade requires proof of immunization for

  • MMR - booster (if not received at a younger age)

  • Varicella- booster (if not received at a younger age)

  • Tdap - booster (1 dose on or after the 7th birthday)

Students must be fully immunized according to district policy and the schedule provided by the State of California Department of Public Health.  

Immunization Resources

District Immunization Clinic

The San Juan Unified Immunization Clinic is located at 3700 Garfield Avenue (Room 4), Carmichael, California. 

The Immunization Clinic is supported by Vaccines for Children (VFC) and adheres to their program requirements.  The clinic is only open to individuals 18 years and younger who do not have health insurance, are underinsured, are Medicaid eligible or are American Indian or Alaskan Native. Schedule an appointment.

Clinic days and hours are limited. One appointment per child is required.  Please plan to arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time to begin completing required paperwork. (If no times are available on your requested date, please choose another open date in the future).  A $10 per child voluntary administrative fee is requested per appointment (cash only).

If you need assistance or have questions about immunizations, please contact us at (916) 971-7018.

Other Resources

Those who have health insurance can visit their healthcare provider for immunizations.  However, we recognize that not all of our families have adequate access to healthcare, and have sourced low-cost and free options for families that need them.  Please consider the following options:

  • Elica Health Centers provides free physical exams and immunizations to uninsured students.  They also accept most insurance, including Medi-Cal.  For more information, call Elica Health Centers at (916) 454-2345, email, or visit their website.

  • Rite Aid provides immunizations for a fee unless insurance can be billed.  For more information, please go to
  • Sacramento County’s Immunization Assistance Program might be able to help your family.  Please call (916) 875-7468 for more information.

Information about SB 277

In June 2015, Gov. Jerry Brown signed Senate Bill 277 (SB 277) into law.  The legislation provides that parents and guardians will no longer be able to refuse to vaccinate their children based on personal belief exemptions if their children attend public or private school.  The law went into effect Jan. 1, 2016.

Although SB 277 does not allow for personal belief exemptions, it does allow for medical and home schooling/independent study exemptions.  The medical exemption can only be obtained from a licensed medical doctor (M.D.) or a doctor of osteopathic medicine (D.O.).  There is no specific form for the medical exemption.  Instead, a doctor must generate a letter on official letterhead with the following information:

  • Confirmation that immunization is not recommended based on the child’s physical or medical condition.
  • Identification of which vaccines are being exempted.
  • A statement of whether the medical exemption is permanent or temporary (and if temporary, the expiration date).
  • Signed and dated by the medical provider.

Students who do not have proof of required immunizations when called for (at the time of enrollment in San Juan Unified, at the time of promotion to transitional kindergarten/kindergarten and/or at the time of promotion to seventh grade) will not be allowed to attend school until proof is provided.