Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Resolving Problems

From time to time, parents and guardians may not agree with actions taken by staff at their child’s school or may have concerns about how their child is getting along with other students. This conflict can feel uncomfortable for all involved, but it is also an opportunity to advocate for your student’s needs, learn more about your child and his/her school, find common ground and improve your communication with the school.  San Juan Unified welcomes constructive criticism when it is motivated by a sincere desire to improve the quality of our educational programs and provide support for our students.

Steps to take if you have a concern

  1. Gather the facts
    Noting details, like times, places and who was involved can be helpful in determining how to narrow down and resolve the issue.  Keep in mind, you may not have all the details of the situation.  
  2. Meet with involved parties
    Express your concern calmly, respectfully and listen to their perspective.
  3. Contact the site administrator
    Administrators will need time to investigate your concern depending on the issue.  Please allow one to two working days for a response.

Other ways to report concerns

We always encourage individuals to raise concerns directly with those involved whenever possible. That's not always an option depending on the situation so it may be advised to bring a concern to a principal or vice principal. The district also provides the following methods to share concerns and assist in resolving problems: 

  • If your concern remains unresolved at the school site level, contact the Coordinator for School and Family Problem Resolution at (916) 971-7023. In times of high volume calls to our office, messages will be responded to within 24 to 48 hours. Problem resolution staff members are trained to listen to your concerns and help facilitate conversations with your school site and across district departments to work towards a resolution. 
  • Submit a Concern online forms can be completed by anyone. They are sent directly to district level staff for review. As appropriate, concerns are shared with site staff to help facilitate a resolution. Any type of safety, bullying or harassment concern can be shared via the Share Your Concern form.
  • If your concern alleges violations of federal laws or regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and/or bullying based on actual or perceived sex, race or ethnicity, color, national origin, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, sexual preference, ancestry, ethnic group identification, gender, gender expression, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or on the basis of a person's association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics you may also file a Uniform Complaint.

Related policies