The 2021-2022 Open Enrollment Lottery is closed. Results of Open Enrollment Lottery application requests will be sent to families by mail during the first week of February 2021.
What is the Open Enrollment Lottery?The Open Enrollment Lottery is an annual process that allows families who live within the boundaries of San Juan Unified School District an opportunity to request a school of their choice other than their resident school. Families who reside in the San Juan Unified School District have the opportunity to enroll students in any of the district's school providing there is space available at the requested school and families are willing to provide transportation.
*Available space is determined by defined physical and program capacity of the school after placement of enrolled resident students.
When is the Open Enrollment Lottery application available?
The Open Enrollment Lottery application will be available starting on Monday, December 7, 2020, at 8 a.m through January 15, 2021, at 5 p.m.
Parents will be notified by letter of the Open Enrollment Lottery results during the first week of February 2021.Please be aware that the Open Enrollment Lottery is not determined on a first come, first served basis. A computerized randon lottery process will determine which students are accepted into their Open Enrollment choice school.Parents must submit a separate request for each student they wish to apply for a school of their choice through the Open Enrollment Lottery. Parents may only select ONE SCHOOL on their Open Enrollment Lottery application.
How to apply for the 2021-2022 Open Enrollment Lottery:
Families may submit an Open Enrollment Lottery during the application window, which begins on Monday, December 7, 2020 at 8:00 am and ends on Friday, January 15, 2021 at 5:00 pm. Parents/legal guardians can submit an Open Enrollment Lottery application for their student through one of the following options:
- Online submission - a link to the online application will be found on this webpage during the Open Enrollment Lottery application submission window. Parents of currently enrolled San Juan Unified School District students may also submit an Open Enrollment Lottery application through Parent Portal during the application window.
- In person submission - During the application window, paper copies of the Open Enrollment application will be available at the San Juan Central enrollment center located at 3700 Garfield Avenue, Carmichael, CA 95608. Families may fill out and submit the Open Enrollment Lottery application in the enrollment center during busines hours. Applications will also be available to fill out and submit at any San Juan Unified School District school.
Frequently Asked Questions
Important information regarding the Open Enrollment Lottery
Can I submit an Open Enrollment Lottery request if I live outside of the San Juan Unified School District?
Can I revise my Open Enrollment Lottery application after my initial submission?
Who should participate in the Open Enrollment Lottery?
Priorities in the Open Enrollment Lottery
Open Enrollment Brochure
- English brochure
- Spanish brochure
- Arabic brochure
- Farsi brochure
- Russian brochure
- Ukrainian brochure
Virtual School Information Events for the 2021-2022 Open Enrollment Lottery
* Please visit the school's website or contact their office to obtain Zoom meeting information for their school's virtual information event.
Cambridge Heights Elementary:
- December 10, 2020, 10:00 am, Zoom
- December 17, 2020, 10:00 am, Zoom
- December 10, 2020, 9:30 am, Zoom
- January 7, 2021, 9:30 am, Zoom
- January 14, 2021, 9:30 am, Zoom
Earl LeGette Elementary:
- December 9, 2020, 8:00-9:30 a.m., Zoom
- January 7, 2021, 3:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m., Zoom
Please contact school ahead of time to RSVP.
Gold River Discovery Center K-8:
- Click here to view an informational Google Slides presentation about Gold River Discovery Center K-8 school.
Harry Dewey Fundamental Elementary:
- November 12, 2020, 6 pm
- December 9, 2020, 6pm
- January 13, 2021, 9am
James Cowan Fundamental Elementary:
- December 2, 2020 from 6:30-7:30pm
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 423 579 8688
- December 10, 2020 at 9:00 am
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 875 6262 6127
- January 7, 2021 at 9:00 am.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 854 2149 5909
Mary Deterding Elementary:
- December 10, 2020 , 8:30 am, Zoom (Virtual visitation for Open Enrollment)
- January 14, 2020 , 8:30 am, Zoom (Virtual visitation for Open Enrollment)
- December 3rd, 2020, 8:30 am, Zoom (Rapid Learner Program)
- January 7, 2020, 8:30 am, Zoom (Rapid Learner Program)
Join Zoom Meeting. Same Zoom link for all meetings.
Meeting ID: 583 874 8667
Mission Avenue Open School:
- December 3, 2020, 8:30 am, Zoom
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Thomas Edison Language Institute (K-8):
- December 3, 2020, 6:00 pm, Zoom, Dual Immersion Program information night
- December 4, 2020, 6:00 pm, Zoom, Dual Immersion Program information night
- Click here to view information video about the Spanish Dual Immersion Program.
Zoom Meeting ID: 837 4302 3878
Arcade Middle School:
- December 3, 2020 from 6:30 to 7:30 pm.
Arden Middle School:
- November 18, 2020, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
John Barrett Middle School:
- December 9, 2020, 6:30 pm, Zoom
Q&A Zoom Meeting
ZOOM ID- 869 9300 6355
Click here to view John Barrett Middle School's informational video.
Mesa Verde High School:
- December 2, 2020, 6:30 pm, Zoom
Zoom Link: https://sanjuan.zoom.us/j/7920310754
Meeting ID: 792 031 0754
Click here for event flyer.
Mira Loma High School:
- December 3, 2020, 7:00 pm, Zoom
El Camino High School:
- Click here to view El Camino HS's virtual Open Enrollment informational video.
Need help? Use the San Juan USD Enrollment Guide!
Hours and Location
San Juan Unified Central Enrollment is Open to the Public
District programs and activities shall be free from discrimination based on actual or perceived sex, race, age, color, religion, ancestry, nationality, national origin, immigration status, ethnicity, ethnic group identification, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.