Kaiser/ SJUSD Summer Preceptorship (Job Shadow)
The Kaiser Job Shadowing Program takes place in Kaiser Facilities over a four week period during the summer.
2020- San Juan Unified formed an agreement with Kaiser to enroll 10 students in this program.
Any current junior (11th grade) student enrolled in a SJUSD school can apply.
WHAT IS A PRECEPTORSHIP?
A preceptorship is a period of practical career experience and training for a student that is supervised by an expert or specialist in a particular field.
WHAT IS THE KAISER SUMMER JOB SHADOW PROGRAM?
Students are placed in workplace learning environments within Kaiser facilities for 20 hours per week for 4 weeks. Additionally students attend weekly classes to improve workplace soft skills. Over 13 Kaiser departments participate and students experience real life work situations through a rotation style format. Students are viewed as a part of the team. Although the experience is strickly observational, inquiry and discussion with Kaiser medical professionals is expected. Students complete a weekly journal, assigned classroom activities and assignments, and offer a final TED Talk style presentation.
- Students must be current juniors and enrolled in a SJUSD high school.
- Due to the medical nature of the activities, specific immunizations are required.
- The program in the summer of 2020 will run from June 22nd, 2020 through July 24th, 2020. Students must commit to attend the entire program including final 2 days for final presentations.
- Students are at their workplaces approximately 20 hours per week for 4 weeks (8:30AM-12:30PM).
- Weekly classes, which are in addition to workplace hours, will be held an additional hour per week.
- Final presentations will be scheduled for late July 2020.
- Students will receive 5 elective credits posted on the transcript as Medical Assisting.
- Students must also submit to their high school counseling office the following, gathered in a packet:
- a copy of the responses from this form that will be emailed to you when it is submitted.
- a statement, in letter form, addressing your "why" as it pertains to this opportunity.
- a resume.
- a transcript.
- a sealed letter of recommendation.
ALL FORMS AND PAPERWORK MUST BE TURNED IN TO YOUR COUNSELING OFFICE -
By February 28th, 2020!!
- Students with completed materials and accepted will be invited by email to a panel interview.
- Invitations for interviews will be issued by March 13th, 2020.
- Interviews will take place March 16th-31st, 2020.
- Upon successful interview, students will be notified if accepted into the program. Preceptorship placements will be offered by April 3rd, 2020.
- Student and parent/guardian attends information meeting at the end of April 2020 - place/time TBD.
- Student and parent/guardian complete and sign Kaiser's program packet.
- Student and parent/guardian sign and submit SJUSD Summer School registration and other district forms. Student will receive 5 elective credits for participation.
- SJUSD Family Orientation Session will be held in the evening in late April 2020.
- If a student accepts an offered placement, they are expected to commit to participating in the program.
- Students will meet their workplace partners in April and May.
- The Kaiser Job Shadow Program begins with an orientation on June 22nd, 2020 from 8:30 AM-12:30 AM at Kaiser Permanente Roseville.
For more information please contact:
Julia Roesser email@example.com or Tracie Locke firstname.lastname@example.org
or call - (916) 971-7163
To access the initial Google Doc application please log on to your SJUSD Google account and follow this link -