- Cambridge Heights Elementary
Board Briefs: Jan. 25, 2022
Here are a few highlights from the Jan. 25 board meeting (the full agenda packet is available):
Update provided on COVID-19 mitigation efforts
COVID-19 positive case numbers are starting to decline for both students and staff. Current active case numbers, as well as a daily count by site, can be found on the COVID-19 Dashboard. Additionally, testing efforts continue throughout the district, at both school sites and at central locations. Testing opportunities can be found at www.sanjuan.edu/covidtest.
San Juan Unified has aligned quarantine and isolation guidance with Sacramento County Public Health’s latest guidance. The latest guidance can be found at www.sanjuan.edu/quarantine.
The district continues to pay close attention to and monitor conversations around vaccine mandates. The state requirement of adding the COVID-19 vaccination to the list of vaccinations required to attend school would go into effect this coming summer but would allow for personal and religious exemptions. However, there is also a bill that was introduced this week that would remove personal and religious exemptions. The district will keep an eye on developments around vaccine mandates and will communicate with families and staff as soon as more details are known.
Public hearing held on redistricting trustee map boundaries
The board held a public hearing to receive community input regarding the revised map options based on the 2020 census data. Action on this item is anticipated at the Feb. 15 board meeting.
In addition, staff shared an update with the board on the community outreach efforts related to trustee area changes. Two community meetings were held on Jan. 5 and Jan. 6 to collect feedback on the two maps. There was discussion around many community members’ confusion that the redistricting process affects school attendance boundaries and open enrollment, when in fact redistricting only affects the election process of Board of Education members.
Learn more about the redistricting process at www.sanjuan.edu/elections.
2022 Classified Employees of the Year recognized by the board
The six 2022 Classified Employees of the Year were recognized by the board. The six honorees are:
- John Weathers, Elementary Head Custodian, Trajan Elementary School
- Natalia Aguirre, District Community Engagement Specialist, Family and Community Engagement
- Malinda (Mindy) Bates, Instructional Assistant III, Ralph Richardson Center
- Shawn Bennett, Equipment Technician, Nutrition Services
- Aaron Pierini, Database Administrator, Technology Services
- Zenaida Kamine, School Community Prevention Specialist, El Camino Fundamental High School
In other news…
- The board accepted the 2020-2021 audit report as prepared by the district’s independent auditor.
- The board adopted a resolution proclaiming Feb. 7-11 as National School Counseling Week.
- The board conducted a review of board policies required by state and local law for an annual review. Action is anticipated on this item at the Feb. 15 board meeting.
The next regular board meeting will be held on Feb. 15 at 6:30 p.m. Visit www.sanjuan.edu/boardmeeting for details. You can also view videos of prior board meetings on the district’s YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/SanJuanUnified.