- Cameron Ranch Elementary
Board Briefs - Nov. 12, 2019
Board hears update on college and career readiness
Staff provided the board with an update on the district's progress toward college and career readiness for all students. Characteristics of college and career readiness include mastery of rigorous knowledge and skills; the acquisition of communication, collaboration and critical thinking skills; experience in advanced coursework, career and technical education (CTE); and other opportunities to explore secondary pathways.
College and career readiness has been identified as one of the seven indicators of the California School Dashboard and started being measured in 2018-2019. San Juan Unified has been working to build on college and career readiness in both academic and social/emotional areas and continue to create and expand opportunities for all students. A few examples include:
- San Juan Unified implemented new graduation requirements starting with the Class of 2023 to better align with a-g requirements for college admissions.
- The district partnered with Equal Opportunity Schools to increase access to Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses.
- The PSAT has been offered for free to all 10th and 11th-grade students for several years.
- There are CTE programs at each high school in the district.
- Many of the district's high schools offer dual enrollment at American River College.
Board hears update on bond program
Staff provided the board with an update on current construction projects for Bond Measures J, N and P. Since completing a Facilities Master Plan in 2014 and the passage of Measure P in 2016, the bond office has been busy coordinating construction projects across the district. Here are a few recent and upcoming highlights:
- A brand new Dyer-Kelly Elementary School campus opened in August 2019.
- Greer Elementary's school renovation and new construction will be completed in January 2020.
- Del Paso Manor Elementary School's brand new campus will open in August 2020.
- Casa Roble Fundamental High School's signature project, a student union and administration building, will open in August 2020.
- Mira Loma High School's signature project, a science building, will open in August 2020.
In other news...
- The board denied the charter school petition application for the Rocklin Academy Family of Schools American River Collegiate Academy.
The Board of Education will hold its next meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 10 in the district office Board Room. Agendas are posted online Fridays before each meeting and can be found here. Audio files and transcripts from past board meetings can be accessed here.