- San Juan Unified School District
Board Briefs - April 27, 2021
Here are a few highlights from last night’s board meeting:
Update on in-person learning and COVID-19 response
Superintendent Kern shared that the district shifted to 4-days a week of in-person learning this week. Districtwide about 29 percent of students remain in distance learning.
The district is planning for a return to a full-time five-day schedule with the start of the 2021-2022 school year on Aug. 12. Options are currently being explored for students who choose not to return to in-person learning in the fall.
Update on Encina Middle School development
Staff provided an update on the progress toward developing the new Encina Middle School.
Through extensive stakeholder feedback and planning that has spanned over a year and a half, Encina Middle School will open in August 2021. A few features of the new Encina Middle School will include:
- Traditional 6-period day with additional “flex” period to support timely intervention and enrichment
- Extended “advocacy” time at the end of first period
- A student house system, where students will be divided into several houses for activities and team building
- Student-led conferences twice a year with a portfolio
The school is currently undergoing a naming process through stakeholder feedback. Currently, two names are being considered - Katherine Johnson and Maya Angelou. The proposed name for the school will be brought to the board for action on May 25. The new middle school will remain on the current complex with the high school for the 2021-2022 school year, but will feature a separate main office and a different pick-up/drop-off location.
In other news...
- The board adopted a resolution proclaiming May 12 as California Day of the Teacher. Additionally, the board adopted a resolution proclaiming May 6-12 as National Nurses Week and May 12 as National School Nurse Day.
- The board discussed the implementation of agreements with SJTA, CSEA, SJPEC, Supervisors, Teamsters, SJAA, Cabinet, Confidential and Unrepresented groups, which include two additional paid days during the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year in alignment with the side letters of agreement that were negotiated with all San Juan Unified bargaining groups. Board action on this item is anticipated at the May 11 board meeting.
The next board meeting will be held on May 11 at 6:30 p.m. Visit www.sanjuan.edu/boardmeeting for details. You can also view videos of prior board meetings on the district’s YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/SanJuanUnified.