- San Juan Unified School District
Board Briefs: May 10, 2022
Here are a few highlights from the May 10 board meeting (the full agenda packet is available):
Board hears update on Career Technical Education
Staff provided the board with an update on the growth of Career Technical Education (CTE) programs in the district. San Juan Unified’s goal has been to provide CTE programs that support students with many college and career opportunities. Currently, the district has 20 different pathways covering 11 sectors, resulting in 31 high school programs. Pathways include culinary, construction, fire technician, medical assistance, and more. Many pathways include industry-specific certifications that students can earn. Additionally, many pathways allow for dual enrollment at local community colleges. Learn more about CTE programs at www.sanjuan.edu/CTE.
Board hears information on A-G Completion Improvement Grant Plan
Staff provided the board with information on the A-G Completion Improvement Grant Plan, which assures the allocated funding to the district and schools for supplement programs and services to students, parents/guardians and staff. The A-G Completion Improvement Grant is state funding provided to local educational agencies for additional supports to help increase the number of California high school pupils, particularly low-income, English learner, and foster youth students, who graduate from high school with A-G eligibility for admission into University of California and California State Universities. Learn more and review the district’s plan here.
In other news…
- The board adopted a resolution proclaiming May 11 as California Day of the Teacher.
- The board also adopted a resolution proclaiming May 15-21 as Classified School Employee Week.
- The board heard public comment on the bargaining interests of the San Juan Supervisors Association and the San Juan Professional Educators Coalition. The board also discussed the bargaining interests of the California School Employees Association, Chapter 127. Public comment is anticipated on May 24.
- The board discussed revisions to several board policies, including 5111, 0420.42, 3300, 3311, 3311.1 and 3312. Action is anticipated on May 24.
The next regular board meeting will be held on May 24 at 6:30 p.m. Visit www.sanjuan.edu/boardmeeting for details. You can also view videos of prior board meetings on the district’s YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/SanJuanUnified.