- Bella Vista High School
Board Briefs - June 25, 2019
Here are a few highlights from the San Juan Unified Board of Education’s most recent regular meeting on Tuesday, June 25 (the full agenda packet can be found here).
Graduation trends shared with the board
Beginning with the 2014-15 school year, Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) Supplemental funds were focused toward ensuring on-time graduation for all students in San Juan Unified. A safety net of programs and support strategies were implemented, focusing on English learners, foster and homeless youth, low-income students, and other students with educational barriers.
Over the last five years, the district’s cohort graduation rate for all students has increased. From 2016 to 2018 specifically, the rates of positive outcomes have increased for many groups, including foster youth, English learners and students with disabilities. Also during this time period, fewer students left high school without a diploma, even if it took five years. Blended online courses are increasingly helping some students with course completion, and ultimately, receiving a high school diploma.
Recommendations for moving this progress forward include maintaining focus on student groups making less progress and those with low graduation rates. Additionally, staff will explore alternatives for or increase access to online course work. The full presentation is available.
Board discusses charter school petition application
American River Collegiate Academy Rocklin Academy Family of Schools has petitioned the district to grant approval to operate a K-12 grades independent charter school within San Juan Unified for a term of five years beginning July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2024. The American River Collegiate Academy charter petition was reviewed and analyzed by the district’s charter review team. The district’s charter review team’s recommendation to the board is to deny the petition based on the below findings:
- The charter school presents an unsound educational program for the students to be enrolled in the charter school.
- The petitioners are demonstrably unlikely to successfully implement the program set forth in the petition.
- The petition does not contain the number of signatures required by Education Code section 47605, subdivisions (a)(1)(A) or (a)(1)(B).
- The petition does not contain reasonably comprehensive descriptions of all of the 15 elements listed in Education Code section 47605(b)(5)(A-O).
Action by the board is anticipated at the July 12 board meeting. Due to the withdrawal of the American River Collegiate Academy Rocklin Academy of Schools charter school petition, the July 12 board meeting has been canceled.
In other news...
- The board approved revisions to San Juan Unified’s 2017-2020 Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP).
- The board adopted the 2019-2020 budget.
- The board adopted a resolution recognizing Senior Director of Program Development and Accountability Donna O’Neil for the 24 years of service she has provided to San Juan Unified, as she will be retiring on Aug. 2.
The Board of Education will hold its next meeting on Friday, July 12 in the district office Board Room. Due to the withdrawal of the American River Collegiate Academy Rocklin Academy of Schools charter school petition, the July 12 board meeting has been canceled.